Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics reatro radio trouble on 97 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Dragond76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biketronics reatro radio trouble on 97 Ultra

Last year I picked up a '97 Ultra Classic EFI for a price I just couldn't pass on. I quickly grew tired of the cassette deck and proceeded to replace it with a Pioneer Bluetooth radio instead. I figured this would be a piece of cake since Biketronics makes an adapter that's supposed to make this a plug-n-play deal. I should have known better...
To make a long story short, all hand controls worked just fine with the stock stereo however NONE of them worked with the aftermarket stereo utilizing the retro radio adapter kit (BT1004/6x). I spent countless hours on the phone with Biketronics (all nice guys and very willing to help anyway they could) to no avail. We decided that the stereo must be the root cause so I returned the Pioneer and replaced it with a Kenwood. Low and behold the controls still did not work, not even after replacing the retro radio adapter twice. I just want to know if anyone else out there has run into an issue like this and what your solution was? I tested voltage on every single wire for my hand controls and they are all fine. I have the older setup with the two deutsche connectors for the radio. The only thing I can think of is that Biketronics has this adapter wired wrong for this model year's setup.
I'd appreciate any input because I am fresh out of ideas.
My neighbor has a 2000 Ultra with the same connectors and his retro kit worked perfectly so I am stumped.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Biketronics Inc
Former Sponsor
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

I realize you are not asking for feedback from us but we do have 100's of those parts on 97 bikes working fine. Usually we trace something like this to some sort of intermittent switch wiring issue. I hate that we did not ever get this figured out and would be happy to try another go at it if you want. If we did not ever trade out the part we can try that. Please call me if you want us to do anything.

Bill

Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragond76
Last year I picked up a '97 Ultra Classic EFI for a price I just couldn't pass on. I quickly grew tired of the cassette deck and proceeded to replace it with a Pioneer Bluetooth radio instead. I figured this would be a piece of cake since Biketronics makes an adapter that's supposed to make this a plug-n-play deal. I should have known better...
To make a long story short, all hand controls worked just fine with the stock stereo however NONE of them worked with the aftermarket stereo utilizing the retro radio adapter kit (BT1004/6x). I spent countless hours on the phone with Biketronics (all nice guys and very willing to help anyway they could) to no avail. We decided that the stereo must be the root cause so I returned the Pioneer and replaced it with a Kenwood. Low and behold the controls still did not work, not even after replacing the retro radio adapter twice. I just want to know if anyone else out there has run into an issue like this and what your solution was? I tested voltage on every single wire for my hand controls and they are all fine. I have the older setup with the two deutsche connectors for the radio. The only thing I can think of is that Biketronics has this adapter wired wrong for this model year's setup.
My neighbor has a 2000 Ultra with the same connectors and his retro kit worked perfectly so I am stumped.
Are you sure the BT device was disconnected from the 23-pin wiring harness when making your radio brand selection with the blue dial and all it's wiring connections? Also for the Kenwood radio your selection would have been A and the Pioneer, the selection should have been C

You don't mention the model of the pioneer nor the kenwood. Some of these aftermarket head units have wired (3.5mm) steering wheel inputs some use a single wire. On the kenwood it uses a single wire, blue/yellow. That needs to be connected in location 1 of the BT device.

I as well have never had an issue with this module.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Dragond76
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bill,
This issue continues to haunt me and I'd love to get to the bottom of it. I'd be happy to try any suggestions you have. We have swapped out the adapter twice and triple checked just about every voltage, switch and setting.

@Ultranutz - Yes I set the adapter to the correct setting before connecting it to the bike. The Pioneer used the 3.5mm cord and the Kenwood uses the blue/yellow wire into the adapter itself. I have exhausted just about every resource I can think of and even tried jumping pins while troubleshooting with BT and we still have not been able to figure this out. I was hoping I wasn't the only person out there that was having this problem but it seems that I am.
I may have to break down and take this to someone to have it traced out and resolved, I don't know what else to do.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

has anything else been done to the bike?

handlebars with extensions
new switches?
any kind of wiring or electrical changes?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
gtownplowboy
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Dragond76;13484102]Last year I picked up a '97 Ultra Classic EFI for a price I just couldn't pass on. I quickly grew tired of the cassette deck and proceeded to replace it with a Pioneer Bluetooth radio instead. I figured this would be a piece of cake since Biketronics makes an adapter that's supposed to make this a plug-n-play deal. I should have known better...
My neighbor has a 2000 Ultra with the same connectors and his retro kit worked perfectly so I am stumped.[/QUOTE I have just installed a complete biketronics set up with front 7.1s new 7.1 rear pods the amp and used a sony head unit. Mine is also a1997 ultra classic efi and have had no issues. I do remember something about when plugging in the adapterThey said it should be pointed forward and upward? Sorry for your issues.If I can think of anything else I will try to get it on here