Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra - Static in left channel headset

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ultra - Static in right channel headset

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic and have installed a GPS, NiM and HD Bomm. Everything works good except I get static in my right ear in the headset. It seems to come and go when I have the FM/AM or CD. I cannot seem to locate anything that makes it intermittently sound garble. The left speaker seems to be always clear. It really sounds like a blown speaker and I would think that was the problem, but then it will clear up completely?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TucAzRider; 01-03-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: title should say right not left.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

have you tried another headset to see of the issue goes away completely?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer

Thank you for responding. I purchased a new headset from Harley today and will try it out over the next couple days. I was thinking it would be in the wiring, but if this works it will be awesome.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have static coming out of the speakers, it is somewhere in the path to your headset - wiring to the console, console connection, headset lower cord to upper cord connection, wiring to the headset speaker, or the headset speaker. Just go through it methodically and you'll figure it out. Good luck!

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago and believe the problem was caused by water intrusion into the headset connection on the console.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:51 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer

OK, purchased a new head set from HD. The first couple rides appeared to be better, however the last few are getting worse. The static happens with the radio and the CD but when it is in AUX mode I do not hear the static. I also plugged my head set into the passenger plugin and I it is clear with both ears. I noticed today the static went away when I hit a bump which makes me think it is a connection, but if that is the case it should be happening in AUX mode?

Hoping someone with a clear head can make some sense out of this.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

TucAzRider ,,,,,,,

I will be out of town this coming week, but if you want to come by the following week, I can listen to your system and maybe pinpoint what the issue is ,,,,,,,

Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Streetrockking
Banned

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
TucAzRider ,,,,,,,

I will be out of town this coming week, but if you want to come by the following week, I can listen to your system and maybe pinpoint what the issue is ,,,,,,,
You forgot to put in there. "Then I will try to sell you some overpriced garbage,,,,,"

Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Streetrockking ,,,,,,

what I will do is show him how much better the J&M Elite 787 headsets perform on his Harley compared to the Harley brand headsets, but FIRST I will try and figure out his static issue ,,,,,,, I have had a new Ultra every year since 1989, so I am familiar with the systems ,,,,,

as for garbage,,,,, not exactly sure where you get yours ,,,,,,,,

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Streetrockking ,,,,,,

what I will do is show him how much better the J&M Elite 787 headsets perform on his Harley compared to the Harley brand headsets, but FIRST I will try and figure out his static issue ,,,,,,, I have had a new Ultra every year since 1989, so I am familiar with the systems ,,,,,

as for garbage,,,,, not exactly sure where you get yours ,,,,,,,,
John - Send me your ROCKING amp for free as a loaner - I am testing a lot of amps that are sponsored by fellow riders, etc ... all brand new.
if you want me to pay for the amp, fine. AS LONG AS YOU guarantee you will take it back with full refund including your shipping after my test (O-scope testing / heat / RMS wattage / overall audio impression ...).
This way you get the chance to set things right... or NOT... as I do test objective (I got NO connections with ANY vendor).

requirements... no crap/sh.t with DSP stuff. I want full control over gains and amp needs to accept (RCA) low Level line inputs...

Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
John - Send me your ROCKING amp for free as a loaner - I am testing a lot of amps that are sponsored by fellow riders, etc ... all brand new.
if you want me to pay for the amp, fine. AS LONG AS YOU guarantee you will take it back with full refund including your shipping after my test (O-scope testing / heat / RMS wattage / overall audio impression ...).
This way you get the chance to set things right... or NOT... as I do test objective (I got NO connections with ANY vendor).

requirements... no crap/sh.t with DSP stuff. I want full control over gains and amp needs to accept (RCA) low Level line inputs...
We will be patiently waiting.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra - Static in left channel headset