Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a PN2.350D with kappas

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM
tannerm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a PN2.350D with kappas

I installed some Infinity Kappa 62.11 6.5" speakers a few months back. Decent improvement over stock. A few weeks ago, I installed a soundstream PN2.350D amp. I don't know anything about this crap. I'm tuning it by ear. Gain on this amp shows a range of 6v-.25v. I guess I have it set at 5.5v. Closer I turn it to .25v, it get extremely loud and distorted. So, the "5.5v" is only a little off the start position. Next, crossover. It's a switch for LPF, FULL, HPF. I have it on HPF currently. The crossover dial ranges from 35-250. I "think" it's set at 80ish. Lastly, there is a bass booster dial. I upped that a hair. Barely moved it. Sounded fine in the garage. (I read that u turn down the bass and treble on the headunit, turn volume up to 70%ish and adjust amp until distortion. Turn down). Well, I went for and spin just now and noticed distortion... ughI'm tempted to get some 4ohm style 6.5" speakers instead of these 2ohm kappas. I originally bought these because the headunit required 2ohm. Now I have a amp, it doesn't matter.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by tannerm
I installed some Infinity Kappa 62.11 6.5" speakers a few months back. Decent improvement over stock. A few weeks ago, I installed a soundstream PN2.350D amp. I don't know anything about this crap. I'm tuning it by ear. Gain on this amp shows a range of 6v-.25v. I guess I have it set at 5.5v. Closer I turn it to .25v, it get extremely loud and distorted. So, the "5.5v" is only a little off the start position. Next, crossover. It's a switch for LPF, FULL, HPF. I have it on HPF currently. The crossover dial ranges from 35-250. I "think" it's set at 80ish. Lastly, there is a bass booster dial. I upped that a hair. Barely moved it. Sounded fine in the garage. (I read that u turn down the bass and treble on the headunit, turn volume up to 70%ish and adjust amp until distortion. Turn down). Well, I went for and spin just now and noticed distortion... ughI'm tempted to get some 4ohm style 6.5" speakers instead of these 2ohm kappas. I originally bought these because the headunit required 2ohm. Now I have a amp, it doesn't matter.
I'm going to assume your still running the stock HU. Set the bass and treble to Flat (in the middle), set amp on Full, Bass Boost off. Turn gain on amp all the way down and turn HU up to 75% volume. Now adjust gains up until you get distortion then back it down a touch. After that you can adjust bass and treble on HU as you see fit. Make sure the bike is running when you go to set the gains.

The following users liked this post:
pefunk (06-02-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 AM
tannerm
4th Gear

Correct, stock HU. Now, u say to set the bass and treble (on HU) to flat, am I to turn them down to their lowest setting, or turn them up to the middle dash??? I've read different things, so pardon the ignorance and confusion.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 AM
tannerm
4th Gear

Also, why does the bike need to be running? I was setting it with the bike off. Maybe that's part of my problem. And as I asked above, I was setting the amp with the stock HU bass and treble set to their lowest setting.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 799 Likes on 586 Posts

What Bates said..
Middle means middle , not lowest , not highest ,middle.
Also leave auto volume control off...and leave it off, it will not be your friend with an amplified signal.
I have the same setup and am very happy with it.

pefunk (06-02-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM
tannerm
4th Gear

Gotcha... I know what middle means. But, I had to confirm since everywhere I read they say lowest setting. Aggravating getting mixed directions.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Gain setting with the bike sitting your amp sees 12 and a bit volts with the bike running it sees 14.4 volts
This is the way it was explained to me power in vrs power out kinda thing

Dave

Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 PM
pefunk
2nd Gear

I'm going with this same setup. Waiting on all my goodies to arrive. I do have one question. For the Remote Wire did you use REM IN or REM OUT?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You would use the "IN". The out is to turn on another amp if you had one

pefunk (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 PM
pefunk
2nd Gear

I just thought of one other question while looking at the connections as well. For all the Block type terminals both for the speakers and Power/Ground/Rem, is it best to use the naked wire or some type connectors in the terminals?

Quick Reply: Tuning a PN2.350D with kappas