Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Road King S. Bluetooth controller on handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Baron11
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Road King S. Bluetooth controller on handlebars?

New member here. Ran a few searches and did not find an answer.
I am looking to control audio from an iPhone. I don't want to unlock phone or screw with the phone while riding. I am looking for a handle bar mounted blue tooth controller. Bluetooth from phone to controller, controller with amp turn on wire to amp. So far the best i have found are two units by MB Quart. One is wired and one is not, I prefer the wireless N1-RFBT. Any opinions or better suggestions?
amp; arc 600.4 or BT4180
factory HD lids enroute
speakers; BT 5x7s BT457
want to keep the option of lowers with speakers open for the future.
Road King wind screen ordered for longer rides.
(I don't want a fairing)
budget, 2k
thanks in advance all.

Baron11

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM
meangreen02
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at WETSOUNDS controller, had one on my king before it got totaled and loved it! Has the control you are looking for. I drilled a hole in the housing that holds the speedo and it looked clean and functioned well. Just make sure you measure three times!!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Baron11
Stage IV

Originally Posted by meangreen02
Look at WETSOUNDS controller, had one on my king before it got totaled and loved it! Has the control you are looking for. I drilled a hole in the housing that holds the speedo and it looked clean and functioned well. Just make sure you measure three times!!
Thank you! After seeing a video of that controller being installed in the saddlebag I was wondering if there would be enough room in the tank panel to install it.
do you go in from the top or the side? How was it reliability wise? How long did you have it?
any comments on the speaker or amp choices I listed?
thank you
Baron11

Old 04-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Magic Mike
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am still struggeling with similar ideas (mentioned here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...road-king.html) and can't decide yet.

After reading here, I checked out wetsounds controller too, but that's not impressing me. I can also hardly imagine, that there will be space enough, to be installed in a RK dash.

For me the best option still seems to be the MB Quart bluetooth preamp hidden underneath a sidecover with the RF remote controller mounted comfy to reach to the handlebar.

Another option is the wired version of the MB Quart controller, but I would never install that on handlebars, coz I prefer the clean look of my beachbars with all wires running inside. A fortune of this version is, that you don't need to get some space for the preamp to hide anywhere, but I would just mount it with the lower dash screw and and run the cable inside the dash or directly underneath the seat. Since I sometimes use a tour pak, I could splice the cable from the controller to get them hooked up parallel to the controlls in the tour pak speaker pods..

I am still considering, but decision is still not done yet. If you made up ur mind and made your decicion, please share here too.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Baron11
Stage IV
Default Still contemplating...

Mike at Biketronics is in the process of putting a controller together that will intercept the signals from the sound equipped switchpacks. If that works, I will be going that direction. For now I have to wait... not one of my virtues.
Baron11

Originally Posted by Magic Mike
I am still struggeling with similar ideas (mentioned here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...road-king.html) and can't decide yet.

After reading here, I checked out wetsounds controller too, but that's not impressing me. I can also hardly imagine, that there will be space enough, to be installed in a RK dash.

For me the best option still seems to be the MB Quart bluetooth preamp hidden underneath a sidecover with the RF remote controller mounted comfy to reach to the handlebar.

Another option is the wired version of the MB Quart controller, but I would never install that on handlebars, coz I prefer the clean look of my beachbars with all wires running inside. A fortune of this version is, that you don't need to get some space for the preamp to hide anywhere, but I would just mount it with the lower dash screw and and run the cable inside the dash or directly underneath the seat. Since I sometimes use a tour pak, I could splice the cable from the controller to get them hooked up parallel to the controlls in the tour pak speaker pods..

I am still considering, but decision is still not done yet. If you made up ur mind and made your decicion, please share here too.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Magic Mike
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to share that info. If Biketronics is doing something that way, I rather gonna wait a little more

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM
twilson
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron11
New member here. Ran a few searches and did not find an answer.
I am looking to control audio from an iPhone. I don't want to unlock phone or screw with the phone while riding. I am looking for a handle bar mounted blue tooth controller. Bluetooth from phone to controller, controller with amp turn on wire to amp. So far the best i have found are two units by MB Quart. One is wired and one is not, I prefer the wireless N1-RFBT. Any opinions or better suggestions?
amp; arc 600.4 or BT4180
factory HD lids enroute
speakers; BT 5x7s BT457
want to keep the option of lowers with speakers open for the future.
Road King wind screen ordered for longer rides.
(I don't want a fairing)
budget, 2k
thanks in advance all.

Baron11
If you're still looking, I found a sweet pkg deal from MTX. I don't care for fairings either so going w 6.5s on top of crash bar and going to mount controller on dash. Will most likely have to cut/modify the mounting hardware to fit but will be pretty simple. Here's a link:

https://www.mtx.com/borvkit1-motorsports-audio-package

Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 AM
MNRiding
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I am doing a similar set up and wondering if anyone has found a good clean solution to have the controls on the handlebars to control smartphone audio, for Road King? I know there are a few good options to have it mounted to the dash, but looking to find a handlebar solution and came across this. Anybody have insight on Tsukayo Bluetooth remote or other recommendations?

https://www.tsukayu.com/Handlebar%20remote.html

Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Big Cat USA
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been trying to figure out a solution for months now. I'm dropping the bike off today and the shop owner and I still haven't decided where to place the Bluetooth Controller. We are looking at a few options.

We are using the Wetsounds amp with Hertz speakers in the Fairing Lowers. For the input I might choose the Wetsounds Universal Receiver. No track or volume control except on the phone. The benefit is the cleanest look. The negative is that as someone mentioned, it's a pain in the *** to unlock the phone, and mess with tapping small targets on a touchscreen while riding. Especially with gloves.

I am leaning towards the Wetsounds BT-VC **** and drilling a hole into the Speaker Pod itself. I'd really like to avoid drilling into the new dash or side panel. The plan is to try to place it either to the lower right or lower left of the speaker pod on the clutch side. I know it will be a reach, but it will be a redundant controller as the phone will also change track and volume. I can use either or. If it fits on the left side of the speaker it will be less of a reach but also less clean looking. The right side of the speaker will basically be sitting near the front cylinder head. Longer reach but more hidden from view.

I'm torn.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Big Cat USA
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Alternatively you can use the Universal BT Receiver hidden anywhere and a simple line driver that would fit in the empty switch housing behind the headlight nacelle. No track control. But super clean.

Quick Reply: 2017 Road King S. Bluetooth controller on handlebars?