Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kappa Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
you do realize that is a 2 channel amp?
id disagree with your indy shop
The local Indy is selling you stuff you don't need. Even if you could run two sets of infinity Kappas off the PBR300x2 ( and you can't) there's no way you need the expensive install kit. That amp sits on top of the radio with industrial Velcro all day long!!!

You need a 4 channel 2 or 4 ohm compatible amp to run 4 kappa's Sir.

Edit: Don't even think about trying to run 4 Kappas off the X4!! The Indy is giving you bad advice man!!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I goofed the post putting the wrong part number. I get that I can Velcro (nice savings) but what additional wires will I need if I dump the kit, or does the amp come with everything? Is that amp decent or should I be looking at something else (especially if cheaper)? And I'm still confused about whether the HU needs to be flashed at the dealer. Guys as slow as I am on this I greatly appreciate your patience with me and your valued advice.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyJones
I put the wrong part number, it should have been PBR300X4 which I believe is the 4 channel. Thanks for catching that for me.
That still won't work as that amp is only 4ohm stable and the Kappas are 2ohm.
Furthermore the amp mount kit you referenced will not fit your bike. You don't need an amp tray anyway because your bike already has one. On a budget go with the Soundstream pn4.520 along with the Kappas. You're also going to need 2- BT355 from Biketronics.

The following users liked this post:
BobbyJones (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 09:54 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBates08
That still won't work as that amp is only 4ohm stable and the Kappas are 2ohm.
Furthermore the amp mount kit you referenced will not fit your bike. You don't need an amp tray anyway because your bike already has one. On a budget go with the Soundstream pn4.520 along with the Kappas. You're also going to need 2- BT355 from Biketronics.
The Biketronics site says my Ultra doesn't have rear speaker connector in the fairing so I'll need a Breakout Connector?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

The Biketronics site says my Ultra doesn't have rear speaker connector in the fairing so I'll need a Breakout Connector?
breakout connector only needed if you want to fade front to rear, most guys never use this, me being one of them

Last edited by yooperhog; 07-28-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

When you run your power and ground wires, you'll run two 16 gauge speaker wires from the fairing to the rear pods which will snake through the grommets on the inside of your pods. Lube them up with some dish soap and slide them through. Tuck the stock speaker plugs into the back of the pod and forget about them. If you're worries about clearance in the pods, order 1/2" spacer rings for 6.5" speakers off amazon for $7. If you don't need them, send them back. Before you worry about the install, get your components squared away. The guys here recommend the kappas. The guys here are telling you that the RF 300x4 isn't going to do the job so nail down the right amp for the task at hand and when that's all set, the majority of us can walk you completely through the install. Disconnect from the Indy that is telling you what to buy. My guess is that they sell RF products and install them in cars, not bikes. They have their best interests in mind but not the two-wheel knowledge to have YOURS in mind.

BobbyJones (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

Originally Posted by yooperhog
breakout connector only needed if you want to fade front to rear, most guys never use this, me being one of them
Yooper so the line leveler are both for front speakers or one for front and one for back? I'm having a hard time visualizing where they go.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Yooper so the line leveler are both for front speakers or one for front and one for back? I'm having a hard time visualizing where they go.
For a two speaker setup you will use one line leveler. The line leveler output is two channels (R/L) that goes between the HU and two input channels on the amplifier. For a four speaker setup you have a couple of options. You can buy a separate line leveler for the rear speakers (which means you have to have access to the rear speaker channels from the HU) or you can use Y connectors to split the output from the single line leveler to the four input channels on your amplifier. Then you use the 4 output channels on the amplifier to your 4 speakers.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:04 PM
BobbyJones
Advanced

As I am trying to learn as I go and cannot thank everyone enough for their wisdom, if an amp has a rating of 90 watts RMS per channel will the speakers need to have a rating of at least 90 watts RMS (not peak)? Meaning if a speaker has a rating of 75 watts RMS it won't last long?

Old 07-28-2017, 03:25 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

As I am trying to learn as I go and cannot thank everyone enough for their wisdom, if an amp has a rating of 90 watts RMS per channel will the speakers need to have a rating of at least 90 watts RMS (not peak)? Meaning if a speaker has a rating of 75 watts RMS it won't last long?
For reference: You want a speaker with a RMS of 100 and an amp capable of putting out 150 RMS. That leaves you some overhead on your amp so that you aren't pushing it to the max to supply your speakers with the power they need to shine.

BobbyJones (07-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Kappa Upgrade?