Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kappa Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Kappa Upgrade?

I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with stock audio. I am only looking for a little more volume and clarity at 70 mph. Will replacing only the fairing stock speakers with Kappa 62.11i give me anything over stock, or do I actually have to replace speakers and add an amp.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Your going to get a hundred different answers but the general consensus will be, yes you need new speakers and an amp to accomplish what your wanting to do.

The following users liked this post:
BobbyJones (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyArcher
Your going to get a hundred different answers but the general consensus will be, yes you need new speakers and an amp to accomplish what your wanting to do.
Agreed 100%, so your next question is what is recommended. I recommend you read a few of the 10 recent posts that are revolving around these same questions. Tons of great info already out there that is all very current. And just FYI, this quote "just want a little more volume and clarity at Hwy speeds" is what we all said at first!!! Good luck on your research. If you decide to do an upgrade a few of the things to think about are, how many and where speakers? Anything in the future, or just stick with the one time upgrade? Budget? Type of music? What your end goal is.
Kris

BobbyJones (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

Ok so if I stay on the Kappa path I would have to get a 2 ohm amp since the Kappas are 2 ohm? This way I could keep the tour pack speakers stock until the wife releases more funds to upgrade those. Would I need the HU flashed to be able to fade? I really don't see myself going beyond just the wish for more volume and clarity.
Also is the Rokker RFB-JAMP-500HC14-ULP a fair amp for $299? I'm starting to get a little lost and overwhelmed in reading the numerous posts lol.

Last edited by BobbyJones; 07-25-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyJones
Ok so if I stay on the Kappa path I would have to get a 2 ohm amp since the Kappas are 2 ohm? This way I could keep the tour pack speakers stock until the wife releases more funds to upgrade those. Would I need the HU flashed to be able to fade? I really don't see myself going beyond just the wish for more volume and clarity.
Also is the Rokker RFB-JAMP-500HC14-ULP a fair amp for $299? I'm starting to get a little lost and overwhelmed in reading the numerous posts lol.
Don't do a damn thing until u have time to process some of this info, clarify a realistic budget, and have a semi defined finish line.

2 Kappas up front, 2 polks in the TP, a 4 channel amp, and Line Levelers to keep it all plug and play is not a bad place to be if u want to keep it all simple.
No flash required.

T.

BobbyJones (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Don't do a damn thing until u have time to process some of this info, clarify a realistic budget, and have a semi defined finish line.

2 Kappas up front, 2 polks in the TP, a 4 channel amp, and Line Levelers to keep it all plug and play is not a bad place to be if u want to keep it all simple.
No flash required.

T.
Tailwind, is it possible to do that with a budget of $500? I'm not a big audiophile so I won't be doing anything beyond this. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Tailwind, is it possible to do that with a budget of $500? I'm not a big audiophile so I won't be doing anything beyond this. Thanks!
Bobby -

For what you're looking for. Your best bang for the buck is gonna be the Kappa speakers with this amp:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...tml?show_tab=1

Include the line levelers, RCA's, wiring etc., and you're looking at about $250 bucks.

T laid out a great set up but I'm afraid you won't get it done under $500. The Polk speakers alone are $200 bucks.

BobbyJones (07-26-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

So after research, reading, talking to a couple of local Indy's, this is where I think I want to go: I'm looking for clear volume at 70 mph on highway, listening to mostly classic rock, and with a budget of $400-$500 (I want 500 wife wants 400). With these parameters here is what I've chosen, but not married to:

Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR300X2 Amp
Rockford Fosgate RFKHD9813 Kit
(4) Infinity Kappa 62.11i
Scosche SAHD656 Adapters

Do I need adapters for the tour pack speakers? I'm assuming so. Also will I need to have the factory HU flashed once the amp is installed? And will I loose FM reception?Now before you tell me that I am over my $500 budget, I know, but wifey probably won't know lol. Since she bought me the ride earlier this year for my 50th I don't think she'd mind. My question now becomes, will the above allow me to achieve clear volume at 70 mph? Now the reason I threw in the RF Kit is ease in mounting (bracket and wires). Is there a cheaper alternative amp that is fairly easy to mount? If there is will I need to purchase additional wiring? I realize that I need to lift the tank and run power to the battery, I'm just looking for ease of purchase I guess over having to order several different wiring options knowing my luck I'll miss something and won't realize until I'm deep into the install. So whatcha think?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

So after research, reading, talking to a couple of local Indy's, this is where I think I want to go: I'm looking for clear volume at 70 mph on highway, listening to mostly classic rock, and with a budget of $400-$500 (I want 500 wife wants 400). With these parameters here is what I've chosen, but not married to:

Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR300X2 Amp
Rockford Fosgate RFKHD9813 Kit
(4) Infinity Kappa 62.11i
Scosche SAHD656 Adapters

Do I need adapters for the tour pack speakers? I'm assuming so. Also will I need to have the factory HU flashed once the amp is installed? And will I loose FM reception?Now before you tell me that I am over my $500 budget, I know, but wifey probably won't know lol. Since she bought me the ride earlier this year for my 50th I don't think she'd mind. My question now becomes, will the above allow me to achieve clear volume at 70 mph? Now the reason I threw in the RF Kit is ease in mounting (bracket and wires). Is there a cheaper alternative amp that is fairly easy to mount? If there is will I need to purchase additional wiring? I realize that I need to lift the tank and run power to the battery, I'm just looking for ease of purchase I guess over having to order several different wiring options knowing my luck I'll miss something and won't realize until I'm deep into the install. So whatcha think?
you do realize that is a 2 channel amp?
id disagree with your indy shop

Old 07-28-2017, 09:25 AM
BobbyJones
Advanced

I put the wrong part number, it should have been PBR300X4 which I believe is the 4 channel. Thanks for catching that for me.

Quick Reply: Kappa Upgrade?