Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concerned about Aquatic QA/QC..other options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Concerned about Aquatic QA/QC..other options?

Ok, so I have been delayed on my install of an Aquatics unit (AQ-MP-5UBT-HS) due to some corp stuff at work.

I am concerned about what I have been reading regarding QA/QC of the Aquatics units. It seems that there is an increasing number of faulty units being delivered. Is this true? If so, is what is the most water resistant, closest to "plug and play" option (other than Jensen) for a 2012 Street Glide.

I am going to hold on this until I am sure about the head unit. I have a PA RZ4 2000D amp and also a JL MX 280/4 at my disposal. Speaks available are BT 7.1 (not preferred) and DD AW's w/ AT 28 tweets.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

If you are asking for my opinion I'd say there are huge quality issues with these units.(see my thread below yours) And the warranty on a brand new non working unit should not be for me to send it back at my expense for repair.

Yes, the Jensen unit would be the closest thing as for plug and play, but I have never been a fan of Jensen products and it's lacking in a lot of functions.

Last edited by SG-Jay; 09-16-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
If you are asking for my opinion I'd say there are huge quality issues with these units.(see my thread below yours) And the warranty on a brand new non working unit should not be for me to send it back at my expense for repair.

Yes, the Jensen unit would be the closest thing as for plug and play, but I have never been a fan of Jensen products and it's lacking in a lot of functions.
Yep, SG-Jay...your post was the impetus for my post. I just didn't want to hijack your thread so started a new one. I am not a Jensen fan either. I will likely end up going the Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony/Alpine route. I just haven't kept up on the current models. I know I'll also probably have to get into some wiring (already challenged on electronics installs...wiring is REALLY not my strong suit).

What HU are you going with?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I ordered one back around Memorial Day, and can't say enough good things about it. I say voice any concerns you have about to who ever you purchase it from and see what type of assurance they will offer you.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 PM
binford6100
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've purchased two Aquatic head units and both worked flawlessly out of the box and the first one gave me two years of reliable service. The ONLY reason I replaced my first HU was to get the SiriusXM capabilities. I use the Sirius radio a lot on road trips.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

I'm glad to hear you guys have had great luck, and love your radios. Cheesehead, I would bet they have a bad run with a faulty component. It may just depend on when yours was made compared to the ones I've had.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM
okie11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too recently bought the top end unit for the Sirius capability, I've only had mine for a month but so far have had no issues with QC/QA at all, I even received an email back in a timely manner after having a question with the install.

I hope it was just a bad batch that had the issues as i don't want to have to order another radio so soon, i'm hoping for at least a few years usage out of this one.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Originally Posted by okie11
I too recently bought the top end unit for the Sirius capability, I've only had mine for a month but so far have had no issues with QC/QA at all, I even received an email back in a timely manner after having a question with the install.

I hope it was just a bad batch that had the issues as i don't want to have to order another radio so soon, i'm hoping for at least a few years usage out of this one.
Since yours worked out of the box I would say you are not going to experience the issue I'm having. I think you will be fine.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

What are the reps at Aquatic saying about these recent issues. Anyone call and talk to a tech nerd? I mean technician.

T.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

I talked to one when I got the first radio. He just had me check the wiring with him on the phone. After it checked out he said "looks like you have a faulty radio, send it in for repair".
I asked the retailer I bought it from about the issue, and that there have been recent issues like mine. He didn't answer the question in his return email. He's also the Canadian distributor for Aquatic, so I'm sure he would know.

Quick Reply: Concerned about Aquatic QA/QC..other options?