Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Midwest Meet and Greets

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
I'm a millwright and wish I would gotten into right out of high school. 4 year apprenticeship. Took 8 years to get into so still early enough in life to work 40+ years in the field. Lol. Sounds like a cool job. Lots of breweries here in milwaukee.
I definitely wasn't mature enough for this job in my early to mid 20s, i was having too much fun lol.

Now i work hand in hand with millwrights, pipefitters, electricians, and engineers. There are plenty of days i wish i went the millwright route when we get handcuffed from not doing their job. Kinda a no no with taking work away from each other, but i like tearing into things and fixing them.

The following users liked this post:
mtbutler (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:37 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 112 Posts

That's exactly why I got into it. Been playing my old man's wrenches since I could walk. I'm not in a union shop and I'm the only maintenance employee at my plant so I get to do it all which is cool. Don't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes. Lol

Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
2 year degree and 5 years on the job training. Wish i knew about the program much earlier than i did. I can work at chemical plants, refineries, and (I'd love this) brewery since its technically a chemical process lol
I make hazmat deliveries to a couple hazmat incinerators around here. Several water treatment plants to. Have quite a few breweries we deliver to as well. It amazes me sometimes at the stuff they use CO2 for.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Did my 4 year apprenticeship 12 years after tech school and am a journeyman maintenance mechanic. sitting here on break thinking I am so glad I have this job vs wrenching on cars all day. Factory life sucks but the money is too good to go anywhere else.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Did my 4 year apprenticeship 12 years after tech school and am a journeyman maintenance mechanic. sitting here on break thinking I am so glad I have this job vs wrenching on cars all day. Factory life sucks but the money is too good to go anywhere else.
The plant I am at now I am more of a maintenance technician. So I do everything on the machines from mechanical repair to electrical. My apprenticeship program covered maintenance mechanic, machine tool repair and millwright. All very similar, just a little different.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by USAproud
The plant I am at now I am more of a maintenance technician. So I do everything on the machines from mechanical repair to electrical. My apprenticeship program covered maintenance mechanic, machine tool repair and millwright. All very similar, just a little different.
That is just my job title. We do everything but roofing and electrical. I would be considered a millwright as of now since I run the building hvac, repair plumbing, pm all kinds of crap but mainly air handlers, do safety checks etc. But on overtime I can be anywhere doing anything from mowing, painting parking lot, snow removal, construction, process work, etc. Just had to add 80 gallon dowtherm to a heating loop, as the shift before me missed that the loop pressure was down to zero.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:04 PM
pglider
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work on locomotives at UP. In Chicago. Great job always been a mechanic so it's great. Iam all in for the next meet n greet. Located in NE Illinois by Kenosha 👍

Old 10-29-2017, 05:53 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

i wont know til mid-january if ill be free until after june...hopin for the entire summer off

Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Just had to add 80 gallon dowtherm to a heating loop, as the shift before me missed that the loop pressure was down to zero.
We actually have to go mix up some Dowtherm right now and top off one of our heat exchanger systems.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
My 2018 schedule. I work when it's yellow. With 12 hour weekends it eats up a lot of vacation when i take one off, especially if I'm working midnights since i have to take the night before the day i leave, the day i leave, and then the weekend (40 hrs of vacation)
I am on my phone and can't see Matt's schedule to see if any of my weekends off match up with his.. But then again I can always call in with **** glaucoma or take vacation days. Here are my off weekend for April May and June
4-7
4-28
5-19
6-9
6-30

We are far enough out that hopefully everyone can make plans or accommodations to be at the next M&G.

Quick Reply: 2018 Midwest Meet and Greets