Notices
Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to install mm652 in fairing

Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM
rsking45
Road Master
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Default Trying to install mm652 in fairing

So I decided on the polk audio mm652 with the impression they would fit in my 2015 street glide special with no problem. They arrived today and they do fit the speaker pods but installing the pods back on the bike wont work, The mounting ring is alot thicker than the stock speakers and if you try to mount the speaker pod back onto the bike the front surround suspension part of the speaker will be squashed into the stock speaker mesh cover.

Iv looked around and see where people do the Pod mod and mount the speaker inside the pod. Right now the BT speaker brackets are out of the question. Will it hurt the sound or the speakers to mount them inside the pods?
Any suggestions from the audio pros?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Tailwind
Elite HDF Member
Liked 467 Times in 421 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45
So I decided on the polk audio mm652 with the impression they would fit in my 2015 street glide special with no problem. They arrived today and they do fit the speaker pods but installing the pods back on the bike wont work, The mounting ring is alot thicker than the stock speakers and if you try to mount the speaker pod back onto the bike the front surround suspension part of the speaker will be squashed into the stock speaker mesh cover.

Iv looked around and see where people do the Pod mod and mount the speaker inside the pod. Right now the BT speaker brackets are out of the question. Will it hurt the sound or the speakers to mount them inside the pods?
If it's just the mesh grill that's the issue, have u considered the Boom style grill? Just trying to visualize what is making contact with what?

T.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Houston_t
Senior Rider
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Mount them inside the pods.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Kenbow
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have heard these will work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hogtunes-Fr...BX6tqK&vxp=mtr

I chose to install my Kappa's in the pods.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:49 PM
rsking45
Road Master

So I decieded to mount the speakers inside the pods. To mount the speakers inside the pods was easy and took about a hour or so to do both. After installing the speakers inside the pod there is a gap between the speakers and the speaker grill so I used some round filler cord to take up the gap,necessary? I donít know but canít hurt. Iím kinda hesitant to cut vent holes in the pods, are vents a must ? Iíve read that some are putting in big vent holes and putting poly fill in the pods.

If Iím not happy with the sound Iíll remount the speakers on the outside and give boom grills a try

Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Fuppets
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering this as well. How did you like them?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM
InthewindMN
Road Warrior
Liked 103 Times in 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45 View Post

I havenít tried those speakers but with the ones I have done I used hogtunes grills. I also added a couple small washers to the top two bolts that hold the pod to the inner fairing to give the speakers a little more room.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 PM
rsking45
Road Master

I didn't care for them. I ended up going with the kappa and so far I'm happy.
I was told the mm652 work very good in lowers

Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM
piper59
Club Member
Liked 867 Times in 445 Posts

I bought one of those spring extensions for my ratchet,its about 7-8 inches long and will bend to get to the nut.Yes,it's a pita.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Ryan42
Road Master
Liked 58 Times in 54 Posts

I have a 2015 street glide in the same speakers didnít fit I had to get different speaker grills And I actually trimmed the plastic around the speaker area on the faring for more clearance