Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:05 PM
SG 103
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What flash

This audio stuff is new to me. First I installed a Soundstream PN1000D amp; Kappa 62xi speakers in the fairing; Polk MM652 speakers in the lowers; ARC PSM processor. This sounded decent as long as it wasn't played too loud. Now I have Focal FDP Sport amp; DD AW6,5 with AT28 in the fairing; Mmats 601.4 in the lowers.

I hooked every up, set amp to 2v, all amp gains to zero, Left all settings on PSM as is. Then went out to try this and WOW, I can hear this nice at any speed. If I go above three quarter volume I lose sound quality. And I didn't lose FM.

The first thing I want to do is get the radio flashed. I live in a small town in eastern Canada and nobody seems to be big on motorcycle audio. When I called my nearest HD dealer he didn't know what I was talking about when I asked to get my boom audio 6.5 flashed. He looked it up and then said he could do it. From what I have read on here I should be asking for a zero flash. Right now I don't ever see the need to fade.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

The current flash on your sg, if it's stock should already be 0 amps, 2 speakers. If you add rear speakers and want to have fade function, you would want 0 amps 4 speakers.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

with the psm, you don't necessarily need the flash as you can compensate with the eq control in the psm, but having a flatter signal to start with is desired by some people.
with the proper flash you enable different or more features from the HU, fade, number of active speaker outputs, etc.
if you are just running speakers all up front and have no real need to fade, try readjusting your gains on the amp and your level outputs in the PSM and see how you like it.
m

Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Funny that question came up. I just had my HU flashed by a RF authorized shop so I would be able to delete the LL. If you have your bike flashed at a HD dealership, they actually do the same flash that the "RF" flash is and listed below.

1. Fairing only or 4 channel with no fade. : Flash=2 speakers/1 amp.
2. 4(6)speaker with fade control: Flash= 4 channel 2 fairing/2 tourpack or bag 1(2) amp.

With that flash, adding an amp will flatten out the curve. HD amps work the same way most other amps do and the "secret" Rf flash is the same programming that your local HD dealer uses. I am currently looking into buying that program for my own use. I don't have the LL in play now and the setup is a lot louder than it was with the LL. Funny thing, now that Im not filtering the signal twice, the SQ is better straight from the HU thru the amp and to the speakers.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 07-19-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thought rf was changing the eq? So your saying the HD flash with Amp flattens the eq?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stache18
Thought rf was changing the eq? So your saying the HD flash with Amp flattens the eq?
Yea, the HD amps work the same way most amps do. Only the non amp configuration in the boom box uses the extreme altering of the frequency to help hear it going down the road. All the HD flashes that include an amp flattens the eq curve. Those HD amps are no miracle amp that can take the radical freq. curve. They work the same as most amps do.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
Yea, the HD amps work the same way most amps do. Only the non amp configuration in the boom box uses the extreme altering of the frequency to help hear it going down the road. All the HD flashes that include an amp flattens the eq curve. Those HD amps are no miracle amp that can take the radical freq. curve. They work the same as most amps do.
So from this way of thinking, a guy with a CVO with 2 amps could just use his current flash and do an install without LL's?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

On one hand it’s perfectly logical. On the other hand HD and logical in the same sentence is about as dangerous as saying calm down hunny.

Has anyone thrown any test equipment on the HU output with an amp flash to confirm that?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
So from this way of thinking, a guy with a CVO with 2 amps could just use his current flash and do an install without LL's?
Exactly how I had my flash done. 6 speakers/ 2 amps. The reason I did it that way was I just may add lowers but the reason I had it flashed for a new cvo is the
because that boom flash is a bit louder than a 4 speaker flash with 1 amp.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stache18
On one hand it’s perfectly logical. On the other hand HD and logical in the same sentence is about as dangerous as saying calm down hunny.

Has anyone thrown any test equipment on the HU output with an amp flash to confirm that?
I saw the computer after the flash on my bike. Very flat compared to no amp flash.

Quick Reply: What flash