Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What flash

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

We have always flashed every Rushmore bike in house, and never use LL's. I posted this a while back but the many of the folks here advised against it that flashing a bike was a slippery slope, blah blah blah.

Oddly enough the few folks that took me up on flashing a radio and mailed them to me all said their bikes sounded better after a flash than with LL's. This is one of the main reasons we also never use the Sony radios either. We get great sound from the Rushmore HU's.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
We have always flashed every Rushmore bike in house, and never use LL's. I posted this a while back but the many of the folks here advised against it that flashing a bike was a slippery slope, blah blah blah.

Oddly enough the few folks that took me up on flashing a radio and mailed them to me all said their bikes sounded better after a flash than with LL's. This is one of the main reasons we also never use the Sony radios either. We get great sound from the Rushmore HU's.
Im pretty pleased with my hu. Looking into just buying the program/system to flash other bikes.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 07-19-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

That really makes perfect sense.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Stache18
On one hand it’s perfectly logical. On the other hand HD and logical in the same sentence is about as dangerous as saying calm down hunny.

Has anyone thrown any test equipment on the HU output with an amp flash to confirm that?
Exactly brother!!! I would not get too far out over the tips of my skis on this one. This is a massive change in flash theory thus I would hold off on racing out to the flash shop till this is well vetted with unbiased testing equipment.

T

Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Exactly brother!!! I would not get too far out over the tips of my skis on this one. This is a massive change in flash theory thus I would hold off on racing out to the flash shop till this is well vetted with unbiased testing equipment.

T
Im curious just where that flash theory came from?

I wouldn't go taking the LL out of play yet either. I am going to run this setup to see if I blow my stuff up or not. All I know is this is what a RF dealer and other installers (like haze) do when they install their sled audio, warranty what they do and it sounds better than running a LL. We will see. I just know that running a LL and having to use a hp filter on the amp of a boom setup is double filtering the original signal and some of it has to be lost. I saw the signal on the computer before and after the flash was done and there was a huge different. My thought is that's why the guys running the sony HU's have such great SQ with that HU.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:06 AM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Been running the 4 speaker with or without amp flash, without LL , with stock head unit, with Arc psm. SQ is comparable or better than any after market head unit that I've heard. 17 Road Glide

Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324

Dsp in your setups or straight hu to amp to speakers?

Just to be clear, your flash is simply choosing the amp/speaker combo settings, anything else being changed? Do these flashes include any changes that won’t survivie a software upgrade or reset?

Old 07-20-2018, 05:42 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Stache18

Dsp in your setups or straight hu to amp to speakers?

Just to be clear, your flash is simply choosing the amp/speaker combo settings, anything else being changed? Do these flashes include any changes that won’t survivie a software upgrade or reset?
we flash EVERY bike, with or without a DSP. Yes it’s programming the correct amp/speaker combo...they all sound different. No issues with updates, you do lose fade, dealer can always re-flash it back. We’ve had zero issues in over a year of doing this.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would love to get the LL out. I have played with the ***** on them and am in the camp that thinks it could be better without them. I am not going to start down the dsp path until he winter.

So my dealer will do flash for me. 2 questions,

1 what is the wiring adapter to go from the HD speaker out Molex to rca in for the amps? I am running 2 amps one off the front out for the fairing and lowers with PA and one off the rear out for the 6x9 lids. I use fade to try to balance a bit since no dsp.

2 what are the sound differences between them? Functionally sounds like I want the HD 6 speaker 2 amp flash.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I was under the impression that the HD dealers couldn’t do the desired flash unless you have the Boom! amps installed. Is that correct or is it that they’ve been told not to do it? I have a dealer that will do almost anything for me if their equipment will let them.

Quick Reply: What flash