Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on competition type system

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM
desperado 66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on competition type system

hi i am newer to the forums and have been building my bagger for about 3 yrs i used to be heavy into car audio about 15 yrs ago but so much has changed not to mention bikes are a whole different ball game, i thought i would be happy with a mediocre system until the 115th event on brady street in Milwaukee were i heard some unbelievable systems, so needless to say i am ready start the next phase. i will start with what my system currently consists of and what i think i am ready for next, then you guys feel free to tell me what sucks what to change or get rid of, here goes...
2008 electraglide
pioneer xui deck
presision power 540.4 front
presision power 1000.4 rear
polk db 6.5s seperates in fairing
polk db 6.5 co ax in lowers
polk db 6x9s in speaker lids
all wiring is proper guage etc...
the 1000.4 is not set up yet as i was about to instal 2 8" or 10" subwoofers in the bags bridged on the rear channel and stereo to the 6x9s on the front channel, i was about to buy my subs when i was stopped and told not to do subs this is where i am now, and my system is now where close to what i heard at recent events.

Last edited by desperado 66; 09-20-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 111 Posts

biggest questions is gonna be what are you looking to spend? What is your ultimate end goal? The components you listed are all less than desired here

Old 09-21-2018, 08:17 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by desperado 66
hi i am newer to the forums and have been building my bagger for about 3 yrs i used to be heavy into car audio about 15 yrs ago but so much has changed not to mention bikes are a whole different ball game, i thought i would be happy with a mediocre system until the 115th event on brady street in Milwaukee were i heard some unbelievable systems, so needless to say i am ready start the next phase. i will start with what my system currently consists of and what i think i am ready for next, then you guys feel free to tell me what sucks what to change or get rid of, here goes...
2008 electraglide
pioneer xui deck
presision power 540.4 front
presision power 1000.4 rear
polk db 6.5s seperates in fairing
polk db 6.5 co ax in lowers
polk db 6x9s in speaker lids
all wiring is proper guage etc...
the 1000.4 is not set up yet as i was about to instal 2 8" or 10" subwoofers in the bags bridged on the rear channel and stereo to the 6x9s on the front channel, i was about to buy my subs when i was stopped and told not to do subs this is where i am now, and my system is now where close to what i heard at recent events.
You might need to ditch all of that start from scratch if you are looking for a competition style set up. Not sure if you heard my friend Mike G's Green with Gold flames RG at the 115th. He won one of the audio shows up there. A bike like his is very do-able. For subwoofers you need to enclose the bags just like you would in a car when creating/building a subwoofer enclosure, your bags need to be sealed to correct air space for the sub. Brands like Insane Asylum and Voo Doo bike works are selling bags already sealed. Most folks are running mid bass speakers to get subwoofer like sound from them. PRV and Beyma are two popular brands. For speakers you will want to look a pro audio or loudspeakers and pass on your traditional car audio coaxial speakers. Check out our YouTube page. We have tons of vids of bikes we've done and discuss some of the set ups. Hit me up if you have questions and do LOTS of research before buying anything!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIW...98GRrX0A5cnmXA

Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM
desperado 66
Advanced

end goal is to build a somewhat useable show bike that can be used for show events and some of the annual rides tomahawk,115th, etc i would like to start now by setting up the basic structure( encloseres boxes bags lowers etc) for whatever size speakers are the best choice) this winter, and then replace components as money comes in.

i was about to purchase some dd 8" subwoofers to put in the bags with the 6x9 lids to be driven from the precision power 1000.4 (same amp as ss 1000.4) i was about to cut out the bags and run the 6x9s off of the front channel in stereo and the rear channel bridged with 2 2ohm dd 8"s (shoul be 140 watts to each 6x9 and 500 watts to the 8s) when the local shop said "do not use subs they will not sound good" this is where i stopped and decided to wait til i have a good baseline plan

Old 09-21-2018, 10:14 AM
USAproud
Road Warrior

You cant bridge two 2 ohm speakers unless the amp is .5ohm stable which very few are for bikes. To do that off 2 channels you need 8 ohm speakers. You are in the right place for help for sure. Reach out to some of the guys and talk to them and build a solid game plan. They are right about subs unless done properly which has a lot of math involved to figure out specific air space for speakers being used

Last edited by USAproud; 09-21-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

end goal is to build a somewhat useable show bike that can be used for show events and some of the annual rides tomahawk,115th, etc i would like to start now by setting up the basic structure( encloseres boxes bags lowers etc) for whatever size speakers are the best choice) this winter, and then replace components as money comes in.

i was about to purchase some dd 8" subwoofers to put in the bags with the 6x9 lids to be driven from the precision power 1000.4 (same amp as ss 1000.4) i was about to cut out the bags and run the 6x9s off of the front channel in stereo and the rear channel bridged with 2 2ohm dd 8"s (shoul be 140 watts to each 6x9 and 500 watts to the 8s) when the local shop said "do not use subs they will not sound good" this is where i stopped and decided to wait til i have a good baseline plan
Subs can be done. They WILL sound VERY good if done correctly or like complete crap if not. We have a few sub bikes in the shop...it just takes work. Hit up Louie Bailey on here from Lucky 7 they have bags already sealed up and ported if you want to go that route. If you are looking for more modest options those exist too. It really comes down to how much you want to put into it (time and money). Hit me up anytime, but yes your previous plan was no good!! Start from scratch brother even if it means do it little by little.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:33 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I would suggest reading the competition rules and finding out where you want to be. In SOS rules I believe subs bump you up a class and that makes competition stiffer.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM
desperado 66
Advanced

my plan was two 2 ohm speakers in series for a 4 ohm load to a single bridged channel @ 500 watts? or a single 10" 4 ohm?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:07 PM
desperado 66
Advanced

usaproud did we meet on brady street," green bagger" there was so much going on it was overwelming to say the least, i was having trouble remembering who was who down there, do you have a shop down there?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior

usaproud did we meet on brady street," green bagger" there was so much going on it was overwelming to say the least, i was having trouble remembering who was who down there, do you have a shop down there?
I do not own a shop nor did I make it down to Brady street. I rolled down there one night and it was insane so we pulled out. If it was a RG you are I referring to, I know who the owner is and he is in Pewaukee. PM me when you can and we can chat

Quick Reply: advice on competition type system