Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please I"m stumped! (Install?)

Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 AM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help Please I"m stumped! (Install?)

I have done about a dozen audio installs or upgrades over the past few years thanks to Gan, UN, a few others and of course this Forum and all have turned out great and still with no problems!!...................... (Thanks again for all your help and suggestions/advice!)

I'm doing an upgrade again on my buddys 08' roadie, this time were upgrading the amp from a RF 300X2 to a SSPN4.1000D and swapping the fairing speakers out to a pair Infinity Kappa 62ii....... The radio is a Kenwood,..... Axxess ASWC-1 hand control module

So in short he's only running a 2 channel system and has the option to run more speakers down the road if he chooses to do so.........................Should be a pretty simple upgrade like you could do it in your sleep!! LOL

MY ? is I cannot for the life of me get any voltage readings on my MM while trying to tune the amp? and I know for certain the MM is working as it should. (Would anyone have suggestions as to why this may be? What am I doing wrong?)
Also I'm more familiar with the SSPN.520D then the 1000D but basically the same amp! I'm not really sure how to properly set the X-over dials on the 1000 as the 520 does not have them? and should we use Full or HP on the X-over switch?

Hopefully we can get the help we need to get this Omen buttoned up and ride?.......................Ride safe!!!!!

Last edited by badazzpred; 04-28-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:10 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 503 Likes on 406 Posts

Set switch to HP. Set x-over at about 11:00 to start.

Make sure all settings are flat on the Kenwood HU. First make sure your test tone is actually playing (have a speaker connected while playing test tone, keep volume low).

Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM
badazzpred
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
Set switch to HP. Set x-over at about 11:00 to start.

Make sure all settings are flat on the Kenwood HU. First make sure your test tone is actually playing (have a speaker connected while playing test tone, keep volume low).

Thanks cshocker) All settings on HU are set to flat we did a factory reset and double checked all the settings after the reset. We did read about the X-over to be around 11:00 so we did that as well. And I also did check to see if the test tone disc was in fact playing and it is?

I've ran my MM leads directly to the speaker terminal block on the amp and the bare speaker wires themselves and I am getting no readings what so ever I dont get it?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:48 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 503 Likes on 406 Posts

Well sounds like you covered everything. I have had that happen once before: no readings. So I just gave up and tuned it by ear. Dude was happy with results in the end.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Put the meter on the shelf and tune it by ear. Simple and done brother.

The following users liked this post:
madhunter60 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 01:45 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Is your meter set to a/c voltage?

Old 04-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

What are you using for 1000hz test signal? As Madhunter60 asked, are you set to a/c voltage?

Old 04-28-2019, 07:32 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I third the checking your meter to make sure it’s on the right setting. I’m a big believer in using the meter
as are others and there’s a reason there is a sticky on using MM. Some want to be precise and know where the
limits are for amp and speaker. Some tune without and that works for them but really have no idea any specs of
what they are sending to �� ��. Try a different meter to be sure and if that s what your comfortable with then
stick with that strategy. Simply putting it on the shelf doesn’t doesn’t help you reach your end goal.

The following users liked this post:
badazzpred (04-29-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 798 Likes on 585 Posts

Did you remember to turn the h/u volume up to 75% when playing test tone? (No speakers connected of course)

Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
I third the checking your meter to make sure it’s on the right setting. I’m a big believer in using the meter
as are others and there’s a reason there is a sticky on using MM. Some want to be precise and know where the
limits are for amp and speaker. Some tune without and that works for them but really have no idea any specs of
what they are sending to �� ��. Try a different meter to be sure and if that s what your comfortable with then
stick with that strategy. Simply putting it on the shelf doesn’t doesn’t help you reach your end goal.
Sure it does. Instead of getting fixated on what the meter is telling you, tuning by ear allows you to achieve your final goal without the middle man and just more stuff being involved.

Every amp and speaker has a different sound meaning that that 2 setup using the exact same equipment will require a slightly different setting on the amp. Also media is recorded differently and the quality of different down loads will effect the final sound of your setup. Using a meter to tune can leave a lot on the table. Besides even if you use a meter and a certain tone to tune, you eventually do your final tune by ear to dial it in. So I just eliminate the middle man and save a bunch of time trying to figure out why I'm not getting any readings on my volt meter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Please I"m stumped! (Install?)