Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade 2015 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 PM
foghorn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio upgrade 2015 Ultra Classic

I do not need to win contests. I just want a clear sounding system that I can crank up and have some bass that doesn’t sound like the speaker is busted as the stock system does. I want to keep navigation and fade control and auto volume control. I will be replacing batwing and tourpak speakers. I probably will not be adding anymore speakers. After reading hundreds of pages on this forum, I think I have decide what I need. I do have a few questions though. I’ll get to those farther down in the post.

I think I will go with the following setup:
Stinger SPX 700x4Amp
BT335 or 355 Line levelers
SPEAKERS:
Infinity Kappa 62ix or Mmats PA601. Times 4 for both. Would like some opinions on each speaker setup. Which has best sound?

Will this be a decent sounding system?

Now for the questions.
Do I need a mount for the amp? And where is best place to mount it?
Where is a good place to mount line levelers?
Do I need any extra cables or speaker wire?
What is the difference in the 2 line levelers I mentioned above.

A rushmore harness I found has the 355 levelers included. It’s about $235. Do I need this? Most info on forum recommends the 335 if I’m not mistaken.Do I need special cable to go from radio to levelers and from levelers to amp. Do I need better speaker wire to speakers?

Thanks very much in advance for info. I know some audio gurus hang out here because I have read hundreds of pages on here that is the reason I posted all of this.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

If you have to be able to keep the Auto Volume Control you can stop your search now. The AVC will fry any aftermarket amp you install.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:17 PM
IArider1
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not have all the information that you are asking, but for speakers I do like the mmats pa601CX, the pa601 are a mid range speaker and if you are not going to put separate tweeters on your bike you are going to want the 601cx as they are coax.

As for the amp mount, no you will not. There is already an amplifier mount in the batwing on top of the radio. You shouldn't have any issues with your fade control or navigation if your keeping the stock head unit. But I will say that the auto volume is not a good thing on an aftermarket system, especially depending on how you tune it as you could make your amp go into protection mode or blow a speaker or your ears if it gets to loud.

The mmats pa601cx are some very nice, loud and clear speakers.
Sorry I cant help with the rest but I'm sure some one else will chime in with the rest.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
If you have to be able to keep the Auto Volume Control you can stop your search now. The AVC will fry any aftermarket amp you install.
Tell us novices more on AVC! What should it be set at or is this something to be concerned with the Ultra adapter?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

For the AVC, turn it off and leave it off! It WILL blow your amp. Ask me how I know.

You our will need power and ground wires from the battery to the amp. I use this kit,
Amazon Amazon

You will need 2 sets of short RCA cables to run from the line levelers to the amp.

You will need the BTBOC for your Ultra.
http://www.biketronics.com/rushmore-...-n-play-btboc/

You will need Vtwin audio adaptors to get those MMats into the tour pack pods.
https://vtwinaudio.com/product/v-twi...r-pod-adapter/

Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

If you want to maintain fade, you'll want the Biketronics Breakout harness. It comes with 2 BT355 line levelers. The line levelers plug into your existing speaker plugs for the input signal. You'll use RCA connectors from the line levelers to the amp inputs.

You won't be using your AVC with an amp. When you set the gains on the amp, your new max volume on the head unit will be 4 clicks back from full volume. Anything above that brings distortion and distortion is your enemy. If you use AVC, depending on your set volume, it will raise the volume above your new max.

If going with the Mmat speakers you'll want the PA601CX's and VTwin adapters for the TP pods. Another option for the TP is the PRV 6mb250, no adapters needed.

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 07-09-2019 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paul32730 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Foghorn ,,,,, best J&M kit we offer for the $ spent here https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail...XK-400SP4-14UL ,,, 100% plug-n-play and is tuned for the Stock Harley Flash so that all radio controls work as normal ,,,

Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by eggwhite93
For the AVC, turn it off and leave it off! It WILL blow your amp. Ask me how I know.
Anyway to disable it?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

why would you want to disable it? ,,, all it does is automatically adjust the volume up or down the same as you can do with the handlebar control ,,,,,,

Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Carizma
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd spend more money on fairing speakers. Focal PC 165F for example- sounds really good in stock boxes. Requires some cutting to fit magnet in the box but absolutely worth it. yes those speakers about 400$ but as i said- they sound very good. Speakers in the tour pack are not so important so you can put Mmats or Kappas. Biketronics harness also not required, i'd sacrifice the fader and spend that money on the front speakers

The following users liked this post:
Paul32730 (07-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade 2015 Ultra Classic