Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Problem....I hope!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 08:54 PM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Last Problem....I hope!

So I'm all hooked up, and sounding good. Then....I put the fairing back on. That was a mess in itself, in that I had to move the DSR off the clutch side bracket to get it to fit, and even then it was a btch. So after that huge fight, I turn it back on, and realize that my fairing mids arent working right. I can mute all the other channels, and hear it just barely. I'm thinking I must have knocked an RCA lose in my mono y mono rumble with the fairing. Any other ideas?

I look at my rats nest, and some of the photos on here and think I must have some wires that are unneeded. Any of these stock wires that can come off, or other ideas on cleaning this up? FYI...that brake side amp is no longer there.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a similar issue. I had bumped switch on 1 of my amps for the mids off of "Flat" . All amps should be flat and than controlled by DSR. Good luck

Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

I got up early and did some reworking. I managed to get the DSR to fit on the tray, at an angle, but it fit and secured. Ran the RCAs down a hole in the tray and over to the amps. Everything fits now and went together pretty easily.

I checked the amp powering the mid fairings. It's on flat. It's wires in parallel, with the horns using the other channel. The horns are loud as hell, but the Mmats are super quiet. I even taped the RCA connections together to keep a good tight connection. Is it possible that at low volume, the Hertz sound so much better it's making the Mmats sound bad? I had my volume at 10 out of 50 and the other three sets were pumping.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

I'm wondering if I have the polarity reversed?

Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Budda109
Road Captain

Flip the horns and mids see if the mmatts light up? Also on mine the switch had 3 positions. The switch looked like it was at flat. Sbates08 told me it was flat setting and I checked it 3 times. Finally I just flipped the switch back and forth and it worked. I had hit the switch just enough putting the faring on to change the setting but not show it as such.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Budda109
Flip the horns and mids see if the mmatts light up? Also on mine the switch had 3 positions. The switch looked like it was at flat. Sbates08 told me it was flat setting and I checked it 3 times. Finally I just flipped the switch back and forth and it worked. I had hit the switch just enough putting the faring on to change the setting but not show it as such.
I can't imagine it's the filter switch. You're right, they are hard to tell, but previously it was on high pass 100, so of I screwed up and didn't change it, it would still put out 100+...plus the horns are playing at high freqs.

Another cluster to throw into the mix. The NVX is running Mmats mids and Mmats horns. The horns are 8 ohm, the mids 4 ohm. Each are parallel on one channel. Is the amp acting up because each channel is running a different resistance?

Old 07-14-2019, 10:18 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

No you can run different resistance front and rear.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:19 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Damn I'm confused...but happy to have it all back together and semi working. Could it be reversed polarity?

Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Budda109
Road Captain

8 ohm should not matter. I am not familiar with the amp but that should be ok. But I believe it would take a higher gain to power them the same?

Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

I went and broke it back down. The connector for the speaker wire had a good amount of copper hanging out. I cleaned it up and reconnected it. Works like a champ now...on to tuning!

The following users liked this post:
eggwhite93 (07-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Last Problem....I hope!