Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Comms - am I thinking correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 03:31 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 622 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildoc999
If I've got this right, I should be able to use WHIM to connect to the Boom for all it's functions, including CB (which is somewhat a big deal to me since a good riding friend will only have CB), phone & nav from or to my Cardo. For an audio solution, couldn't I just, at the same time, connect my phone to the Cardo for music sources? It's just that instead of connecting to the bike via bluetooth, then back to what was my wired helmet, I now connect directly to my Cardo unit(s)?

Thanks guys!
Do you already have the WHIM? If so, please let me know what the integration is like with your Cardo Packtalk? CB is also somewhat important to me as there's a couple of groups I ride with that exclusively use CB.
If the WHIM allows all functions of the BOOM including the CB...and the only loss is stereo sound through the Cardo helmet speakers, I may go that route.

Sure wish Harley would get their sh*t together and integrate all this stuff. Not holding my breath but sure would be nice if HD came to their senses and released a firmware/software update that would allow this.
Rode on a 4 day run with a couple of guys on BMW's. Their Cardo's worked seamlessly with their bikes...imagine that?

Old 06-24-2021, 04:48 PM
Devildoc999
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet.
I've asked my HD shop to order it and install when it comes.
I plan on doing just what I had listed.
Gonna connect to Boom for all it's functions except music source. Gonna use my phone to Cardo for that. I think that should work. It's a bit of money for what I'm getting, but hey.....

Old 06-24-2021, 05:03 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Not yet.
I've asked my HD shop to order it and install when it comes.
I plan on doing just what I had listed.
Gonna connect to Boom for all it's functions except music source. Gonna use my phone to Cardo for that. I think that should work. It's a bit of money for what I'm getting, but hey.....
OK thanks. Please report back here and keep us posted once you get it and if it works how you want.
I guess I'm just a bit sceptical on whether the CB will work with the WHIM & Cardo setup.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Devildoc999
Novice

I keep trying to BT my Cardo to the HD. I see it listed in devices to be paired but it won't connect. Reports failed each time. Who understands why? If my phone will pair, why won't the Cardo? Cardo support recommends this as the best way to connect to an infotainment system. Pair to both phone and bike. I don't understand why HD would know what kind of device is trying to pair or care why it would want to, just pair it if it's acceptable device, which apparently Cardo is not. This is even less about what capabilities or functions it might have or not have, and more about just pairing the damn thing.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:05 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I believe you need the WHIM. Plus, to BT the Harley units to the bike, you need the WHIM there too

Interesting you said you can see the cardo listed as devices - I will have to take a look at that

Old 06-26-2021, 09:15 AM
Devildoc999
Novice

So I spoke with a Cardo tech support guy yesterday and asked him a bunch of questions about how to use the system and connections to Harley.
He said a couple of things that were a bit disturbing or maybe even deal breakers.
One was that I need to acknowledge that the WHIM was a Sena product designed for Sena products to connect to the Boom. Even then, only HD branded Sena products. As such, while in theory the Cardo should be able to connect as well, there's been no efforts on Cardo's part, nor Sena's and certainly not Harley's to test or improve compatibility. Cardo support then further reported that while, in the past, it seemed that Cardo would connect well enough, except for the stereo music issue, he's heard some users are now having trouble even connecting the Cardo units at all. More word of mouth than any actual testing or confirmation. If true, that would end the whole thing right there although I've not explored the whole FREEWIRE aspect at all. Is that an alternative? Has anyone here tried or know of a forum where this is explored?
The other disturbing comment came when I asked him about my plan to connect the Cardo through WHIM on one of the 2 channels available on the Cardo unit in hopes of accessing all the Boom features (esp the CB), and then pair my phone to the Cardo as well, if for nothing else but the music (I like streaming Amazon Music a lot). He stated he didn't think that would work either because when Cardo is connected to WHIM (again, IF this even doable anymore) on channel A, channel B is cut off.
So, it seems that if the WHIM is to be connected at all, it's an all or nothing kind of a deal. I can connect to the bike through WHIM and listen to dual mono music and access all the telephone, nav, CB features of the Boom, or I can unpair the WHIM and use my phone for Cardo. Back and forth.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:25 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cycle7447
You are correct - either BT to the bike or Cardo for music. I usually connect to the bike by way of USB - have the cord in the trunk. Once plugged in, I get AA/Carplay. Tend to always play my music through the speakers. Still, my phone is connected by way of BT to cardo - so, if I get a call for example, I can say Cardo - Answer. What's funny is - if my phone rings, I can see it on my screen. If i get a text, it shows on my screen and the message says - sorry, I can't answer right now.
I can also say, hey google call this number - and, my phone will call. Plus, I can use the handlebar controls to change/skip songs on amazon prime
OK...small victory here. I figured out how to switch my music from Cardo speakers to my updated bike speakers...back & forth. On my iPhone, just go to control centre, select AirDrop, and then I can select either Cardo PackTalk or BOOM GTS.
Same as you, the music info is still up on the BOOM screen when listening through the Cardo speakers, and I can also scroll to the next & previous track using either the handlebar control, or "Hey Cardo" for my various music sources.
Also same as you, when listening through the Cardo speakers, when a phone call comes in, my music lowers volume and phone call info comes up on the BOOM screen. This is all with my phone in my pocket...not plugged in via USB.

I'm no technical genius and many, if not most of you most likely already have this figured out. As is, I can happily live with it for the superior Cardo communication and stereo sound from the Cardo JBL speakers. The only thing that would make it better is if I could access the CB through the Cardo. I suspect I'll need the WHIM for that (if it does indeed work), but would loose the stereo sound. Not sure I'll go that route for the few times a year that I'd use the CB? The other option instead of the WHIM would be the Freewire (there's a number of threads here on the forum from members that have done that).

Old 06-26-2021, 10:39 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

So I spoke with a Cardo tech support guy yesterday and asked him a bunch of questions about how to use the system and connections to Harley.
He said a couple of things that were a bit disturbing or maybe even deal breakers.
One was that I need to acknowledge that the WHIM was a Sena product designed for Sena products to connect to the Boom. Even then, only HD branded Sena products. As such, while in theory the Cardo should be able to connect as well, there's been no efforts on Cardo's part, nor Sena's and certainly not Harley's to test or improve compatibility. Cardo support then further reported that while, in the past, it seemed that Cardo would connect well enough, except for the stereo music issue, he's heard some users are now having trouble even connecting the Cardo units at all. More word of mouth than any actual testing or confirmation. If true, that would end the whole thing right there although I've not explored the whole FREEWIRE aspect at all. Is that an alternative? Has anyone here tried or know of a forum where this is explored?
The other disturbing comment came when I asked him about my plan to connect the Cardo through WHIM on one of the 2 channels available on the Cardo unit in hopes of accessing all the Boom features (esp the CB), and then pair my phone to the Cardo as well, if for nothing else but the music (I like streaming Amazon Music a lot). He stated he didn't think that would work either because when Cardo is connected to WHIM (again, IF this even doable anymore) on channel A, channel B is cut off.
So, it seems that if the WHIM is to be connected at all, it's an all or nothing kind of a deal. I can connect to the bike through WHIM and listen to dual mono music and access all the telephone, nav, CB features of the Boom, or I can unpair the WHIM and use my phone for Cardo. Back and forth.
Here you go...one of the threads re Packtalk Bold & Freewire. It's a long one but lots of variations tried. I think the Freewire conversations start about 1/2 way through (or later) the total of 151 posts.
From what I can gather, the Freewire works...or at least worked a year ago when this was being discussed.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...talk-bold.html

Old 06-29-2021, 09:46 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

why not just get the SENA and be done with it? you'll probably be money ahead at the end of the day, and I can tell you the sena and WHIM work great! PS sena just added a new HD speaker option, they sound much better, though I only use mine for communication as i have a pretty nice stereo setup.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:01 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mikes300
why not just get the SENA and be done with it? you'll probably be money ahead at the end of the day, and I can tell you the sena and WHIM work great! PS sena just added a new HD speaker option, they sound much better, though I only use mine for communication as i have a pretty nice stereo setup.
Glad to hear the SENA is working great for you and I considered it. Read some reviews and apparently the mesh doesn't always work like it should? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't...I've not owned one.
For me I went with the Cardo for the Dynamic Mesh Communication (crystal clear with great range), JBL speakers for better sound, totally waterproof, alway on voice operation...
Happy I did and it's doing most everything as expected without the additional cost of the WHIM. Only thing I don't have now is access to my CB but for the few times I use it, I'm ok.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Comms - am I thinking correctly?