Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterproof Aftermarket Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Waterproof Aftermarket Head Unit?

Ok I have question about aftermarket head units. I like my 2012 SG stock radio for now, but I might want to change it in the future. I will probably change the speakers and add an amp before I change the head unit. However, I want to start looking at them.

I noticed several people are putting in the Sony unit which holds an Ipod inside, but it is not rated for outside weather. How does this hold up in the rain and washing the bike. I have heard some people use those ugly flip down waterproof covers. I HATE those and refuse to use them. If you are using a non marine rated head unit, are you using these covers. If not, how is the radio holding up? Thanks for any input.

Also, any suggestions on Head units would be greatly appreciated. Just so I can narrow down the list.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

My understanding of reading reviews on the Sony unit that you put your iPod inside of is the loading mechanism does not hold up well to the vibration of these bikes. Certainly something you want to look into before making your decision.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been looking at Alpine and Kenwood. Both make really nice units that are rated for use near water.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
GrapeApe01
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at the Kenwood KMR-700U for my Wide Open Customs Fairing on my FLHRS as I do not use an iPod; Sirius Radio. I do not want the satellite unit mounted on the Fairing.

Now I need speakers that will not distort at 85MPH and at full volume!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
My understanding of reading reviews on the Sony unit that you put your iPod inside of is the loading mechanism does not hold up well to the vibration of these bikes. Certainly something you want to look into before making your decision.
Links???

I have heard nothing but good about the Sony DMR's. I would like to see some of these reviews about the mechanism not holding up. Very curious since it is a manual pop-in and pop-out tray.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

not sure exactly what model you're looking at but the one I was referring to dates back to the dsx-s100 model. tons of issues with that thing. However; starting to see more and more on the dsx-s310btx model and they are all great reviews.. i think the 100 was the first model so that stands to reason that they've had issues as do most manufacturers when they roll new products off the assembly line.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

just a follow up to this. I decided to take the plunge here with this.

I did away with the stock head-unit and installed the Sony DSX-S310BTX model last night. I also used the Biketronics retro radio kit 1002 to maintain handlebar controls. I could care less about it, but you do lose the passenger controls on the rear pods. With that said, you do get a remote with this unit and unless the wife drops it while cruising down the road, it should do the trick. If she does drop it, oh well.. she won't be able to fool with the tunes anymore which works for me because it never fails; I'll be jamming to a Kid Rock tune, bouncing my head, feet are a hopping, and she'll change the damn thing! :-)
Anyway, my first impression of this unit is good. I like the way things are laid out, the controls are easy to use following the Biketronics instructions, and everything works. I thought I would lose the functionality of things like bass/treble and fader/balance settings but that's all controlled by the handlebar controls.

The one thing I don't like is the 90 degree adapter that comes with the unit for iPod use in the tune tray does not "click" into the iPod or iPhone socket as it should and will be prone to come out. I'll look at it again this evening.. Might just need to have the side locks clasps stretched out a little on it.

The biketronics kit does comes with the "rainshield" which does NOT stay on the bike all the time. It's a clear plastic cover that fits very snug into the radio opening on the fairing. So you take it off when you're not using it.