Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help and advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help and advice.

My radio and head unit have quit putting out sound. I used the outputs to the speakers for connecting to the pac sni-35 and used Rca jacks from there to the inputs on a ss nano. Everything seemed to be going fine when last night I couldn't get any sound out of the fairing speakers. I thought maybe I had lost power to the amp but after removing the fairing the green light is on. I then hooked the right speaker directly to the wires from the head unit and still have nothing. The radio turns on and off normally and I can adjust the volume, bass, etc like normal. It plays the mp3's like normal and switches radio stations like normal too. It just acts like there's no output to the speakers. WTF!!!

Last edited by springer 03; 08-01-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 263 Likes on 118 Posts

I assume you only have the two speakers ?
When you say it plays MP3's fine you get sound then ?
Do you have a cd player ? will it play ?
Try a circuit tester to see if you have power at the speaker leads
May have possibly lost the FM pot to the radio, if so a new aftermarket radio is likely cheaper than repairing the facory deck

Last edited by Jetblack3; 08-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

No sound from any source. CD, mp3, WB, FM, AM. Seems like the output amps of the stock head unit gave up the ship but they did come back on for 10 secs or so. Almost seems like the damn thing is mute mode!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

did you read my PM?

also if a stocker radio.. unplug the harnesses off the back of it and let it set for a couple of minutes to drain out any residual stored power.. then plug back in and see what happens.. could very well have just freaked out.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 08-02-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

I had already unplugged the harness twice but didn't wait to replug it in. I did try pushing up and down on the radio but it is rock solid and didn't make a sound. I'm kinda resigned to buying a new stock HK unit as I think this one has given up the ghost. First I blew the MM651's, then I was getting static on the FM and installed the ferrite doughnut, then I had one of my rca jacks go bad, then I had loose connections at the speaker, finally I thought I had everything settled in and the head unit takes a dump. I've had the fairing on and off so much I can do it in my sleep. Probably will end up going back to stock and selling off my stuff.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
Probably will end up going back to stock and selling off my stuff.
Thats just crazy talk. You can go three ways here assuming you can't figure out what the exact problem is and rectify it. (1)Get another HK radio and go from there. (2) Send your HK to Iron Cross Audio and see if they can repair it. (3) get an aftermarket head unit and a (Biketronics or Hawg Wired) adapter to retail your hand controls. I can tell you I did #3 although not because my head unit went. Just cause I wanted to. You wont be disappointed with an aftermarket head unit. Your already most of the way there with the Polks and the SS amp. The only thing I might suggest is wait on that until after Sturgis as Dragonfly is going to be announcing a all new direct replacement head unit with all the bells and whistles for our Harley's. No idea what the price point and actual roll out date will be, but through conversations with Todd, the specs are quite impressive.

I'm not trying to profit off you misery here in anyway...as I kinda pushed you in the direction of an aftermarket HU, but if you decide to get a new stock HK HU I have one thats up for sale. Good luck to you whichever way you go.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior

Ran the diagnostics and got the B2017 code. Not sure what to do about it.??? Monty, I'll be in touch after Sturgis. thanx

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

What the radio is looking for is a 2 ohm load and it doesn't see that. That is a normal reading springer 03 because you have an amp in place.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior

I took the main fuse out and read through the sticky above. 19 pages and it seems like this is a common problem. Not sure if the b2017 code is the cause of no sound or the no sound caused the b2017. Either way my troubles are wearing on me cause I got no tunes! Tried replacing the fuse after a half hour and still hear sounds of silence. I realize that the head unit isn't seeing a load but did that cause it to go into hibernation or ........ is there a bad output board caused by this......

Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

just out of curiosity have you tried another speaker in there besides the ones installed? Speakers could be toast...

if you're connecting known good speakers directly to the head unit and no sound then the head unit is the issue.

Sure it's a common occurence (wouldn't call it a problem unless you have a stock radio, no amp, and connected directly to stock speakers) because there is no load that the radio is seeing. The amp is connected to the outputs of the head unit and that amp provides no impedance load to the head unit. This is by design regardless of the type of amp. Not seeing a load has no relevance to the issues at hand nor will not seeing a load cause a head unit to fail.

Quick Reply: Need help and advice.