Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NIM problems

Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NIM problems

Hey everyone. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra that came stock with the Navigation Interface Module, Garmin 660, and XM radio. Everything worked great up until now. The other day my Garmin stopped sending commands through my speakers, and the radio doesn't cut out. The speaker switch is in the right position. I can run a cable from my GPS to the Aux input on the radio and can hear the commands that way, But then I can't use my XM radio because I have to have the radio on aux.
I figured the NIM went bad, so I borrowed one from a friend who had a new one laying around. I still had the same problem after replacing the NIM. I tried running a cable from the input on the Garmin cradle harness to the aux input on the radio, but couldn't get any sound out of the speakers. I'm wondering if the cradle harness is bad. Also, since the bike came stock with the NIM there is no overlay harness. I spent the better part of 4 hours reading posts, but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. I live in Mexico and the nearest Harley Dealer is 400 miles away in Tucson, AZ. I have the extended service plan, but I'd rather try to fix it myself if it isn't to expensive than drive all day in 100 degree heat, sit around at the dealer all day while they try to fix it (assuming they have the parts), and then drive another 400 miles back home.
I do all my own wrenching on my bikes. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Make sure you do not have the GPS volume set to mute.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM
tombeving
Road Master

I know it's not that, because the radio doesn't mute when the GPS sends a voice command.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not under warranty? I dont see a lot of comments here about CVO bikes. Supposedly there is a CVO forum and a quick google search should help you find it. Good luck as thats the only positive input I have.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM
tombeving
Road Master

I have the 7 year extended service contract with a $50.00 deductible. I'd like to figure out what the problem is and how much the parts are. If It's not to expensive, it's cheaper for me to fix it myself.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
Hey everyone. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra that came stock with the Navigation Interface Module, Garmin 660, and XM radio. Everything worked great up until now. The other day my Garmin stopped sending commands through my speakers, and the radio doesn't cut out. The speaker switch is in the right position. I can run a cable from my GPS to the Aux input on the radio and can hear the commands that way, But then I can't use my XM radio because I have to have the radio on aux.
I figured the NIM went bad, so I borrowed one from a friend who had a new one laying around. I still had the same problem after replacing the NIM. I tried running a cable from the input on the Garmin cradle harness to the aux input on the radio, but couldn't get any sound out of the speakers. I'm wondering if the cradle harness is bad. Also, since the bike came stock with the NIM there is no overlay harness. I spent the better part of 4 hours reading posts, but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. I live in Mexico and the nearest Harley Dealer is 400 miles away in Tucson, AZ. I have the extended service plan, but I'd rather try to fix it myself if it isn't to expensive than drive all day in 100 degree heat, sit around at the dealer all day while they try to fix it (assuming they have the parts), and then drive another 400 miles back home.
I do all my own wrenching on my bikes. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
have you tried resetting the Zumo? Did this by chance happen after you may have done an upgrade? That has happened to me. Had to revert back to previous version of firmware.