Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Road trip through Canada (Montreal, Quebec).

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM
dafuzz89
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip through Canada (Montreal, Quebec).

I am riding from Detroit through Canada and onto Maine and other US cities. My wife wants stay in Mintreal and Quebec to sighrt see. Anyone out there that can recommend bike friendly hotel/motel thats not in the ghetto.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
CdnArmyGuy
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dafuzz89
I am riding from Detroit through Canada and onto Maine and other US cities. My wife wants stay in Mintreal and Quebec to sighrt see. Anyone out there that can recommend bike friendly hotel/motel thats not in the ghetto.
Stay at most Best Westerns. They are biker friendly. U coming through when i live in London. But have u googled a route. Its going to be a long ride. From Windosr to the Quebec boarder is a great ride. From there on till pass Montreal sucks. . Its 20 hrs by car to St John NB. Thats with good traffic. Also i would try to bypass Montreal on hwy 20. On a bike sucks through the city. Im in the military and deployed till the 20th if u have any questions. O come over the bridge to Windsor. As u know its a straight shot to the 401 hwy.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree with most CdnArmyGuy says but I will add some of my personal comments.
First of all driving on the 401 through Toronto at any time of day will be a challenge. Stop and go traffic, aggressive drivers and hazardous lane changers. You best have eyes in the back of your A$$ when you go through here.
Secondly, and this is just my opinion. We, as riders avoid the province of Quebec on a motorcycle at all costs. They will run you off the road there just as soon as look at you. We have gone to the east coast 3 times and we always go through upper state New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and onto Maine.
Once again my opinion but if your wife wants to see the sights in Montreal and Quebec City I would be doing in a vehicle and not a motorcycle.
Just my two cents worth!
Whatever you decide safe riding to you!
Cheers, Terry

Old 03-04-2017, 12:58 PM
CdnArmyGuy
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio09SG
I agree with most CdnArmyGuy says but I will add some of my personal comments.
First of all driving on the 401 through Toronto at any time of day will be a challenge. Stop and go traffic, aggressive drivers and hazardous lane changers. You best have eyes in the back of your A$$ when you go through here.
Secondly, and this is just my opinion. We, as riders avoid the province of Quebec on a motorcycle at all costs. They will run you off the road there just as soon as look at you. We have gone to the east coast 3 times and we always go through upper state New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and onto Maine.
Once again my opinion but if your wife wants to see the sights in Montreal and Quebec City I would be doing in a vehicle and not a motorcycle.
Just my two cents worth!
Whatever you decide safe riding to you!
Cheers, Terry
Good post.ive driven thrpugh Quebec many times. Just have to be careful through Montreal. I would also suggest using the 407. Its a toll hwy but we use it all the time when we travel. Now it goes almost to hwy 412. Google a route and send it to me. I can help route u throigh the crap.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:57 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dafuzz89
Another option would be to leave Detroit, hit the 401, then take the 403 to Hamilton, then cross back into the US at Buffalo. Then hook up with the I90 until Syracuse, and head North on the I81 and cross back into Canada at Gananoque, then head straight East on the 401 until it changes into the 20 once you hit the border in Quebec. That way you bypass the mess in Toronto and I find the US Interstates in a lot better condition than Cdn roads, anytime of year.

You could also stay on the 401 until you reach Lancaster, then take the 34 North until you reach Hawkesbury. It is a nice place to stop for lunch, dinner or the night and the HD dealer there is awesome. You can then cross the bridge and hook-up with the 50 and head into Montreal from the North.

As the other Canucks have said, Montreal can be a gong show to drive in at the best of times. I would recommend finding a hotel central to the area where you and your wife want to see things in Montreal, then walk or cab to various sites, much safer then riding.

Once you are done in Montreal and you want to head to Quebec City I highly recommend that you head to the Autoroute 40 on the North side of the river and follow it all the way into Quebec City. While in Quebec you should stay near the Citadelle in the heart of the "Old City". The Fairmount Le Chateau Frontenac is spectacular but pricey. There are a lot of good hotels in the Old City for reasonable prices. Lots of sites to see and excellent places to eat. If you enjoy wild game, you absolutely have to go to the Aux Anciens. It is a historical landmark in itself. The building has been there since 1675. They have a huge variety of wild game and the atmosphere is awesome. Every time I am in Quebec I make a point of stopping in there.

Here is a link to it if you're interested:

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/en/index.htm

Hope this helps.