Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip Advice--Martha's Vineyard

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
mailmanhugh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip Advice--Martha's Vineyard

Hey all you New Englanders. The wife and I are making a MARATHON trip from Idaho to New England this summer. We're trying to make some plans for Mass. My wife absolutely has to see Martha's Vineyard. Here are some questions:

1. Can you take a motorcycle on the car ferry from Woods Hole to M.V.?

2. Do you need a reservation to do so?

3. Is M.V. a motorcycle friendly place?

4. After Martha's Vineyard how long would it take to do a trip out to the very tip of Cape Cod and back? Is that worth the ride?

We've never been anywhere in New England, so this will be all new and exciting for us. Any other good tips advice for this area? We want to see at least some of Maine, N.H. and VT as well while we're there.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When are you going? My wife and I will be riding to Laconia Bike Week in June. We hope to hit 22 states in two weeks.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Never been to MV, but have been to the cape. I have heard that reservations are the best bet, very busy in the summer. Also don't miss the last ferry or your stuck on the island till morning.

The Steamship Authority does list Motorcycles in the rates so I would assume that you can take one on the ferry. The link to the ferry is here
http://www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

I have only been to the Cape once on the bikes. Enjoyed the ride, but remember in the summer there is lots and lots of traffic with distracted tourists.

Only rode in the Hyannis, Woods Hole, Falmouth area so can't really comment on the middle and outer cape. There is a Harley Dealer on the Cape, they may be able to give you some ideas on Cape Cod riding.

Good luck with your trip

Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The Cape is beautiful and worth seeing. I think if I were going to go there again, I would go in the off season, because the traffic tie-ups make it no fun. While we were out there, we stayed at The All Seasons Motor Inn, 1199 Main St., South Yarmouth Ma. Phone# 1-800-527-0359. No, I don't work for them or even know the owners, but I do know that you will need reservations if it isn't already too late. Good luck in your journeys. IMO, the rest of New England is much prettier (and less crowded and cheaper) than the Cape.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it does get busy in the summer, but also is some beautiful riding. yes, make ferry reservations. take the ride to p-town too if you have never been there. taking rt 6a all the way is longer but more scenic. p-town is a very different atmosphere, be prepared to see all types of people.

white mountains in NH are a beautiful ride and if you make it up to bar harbor maine, that is amazing also.

tin

Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely make reservations on the ferry. You can do a round trip of the Cape in a day but you will miss a lot by doing so. The outer Cape (Chatham to P-town) is the best part IMO. If it were me, I would plan to spend a night at the P-town Inn in Provincetown. P-town has a huge gay community but if you're not homophobic, the bars/clubs are a riot at night. There are tons of small shops to explore there too so you could spend a whole day in town alone.
Heading north from the Cape, Rte. 3A up the coast is a nice ride with lots of interesting seaside towns to explore along the way to include Plymouth. I grew up in Scituate. Stop by. It's a great little town.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1

If you time it to avoid traffic, you can ride out to the end of Cape Cod in about an hour from Hyannis. A prior poster touched on something; P-town, way out on the end of Cape Cod, is different. Be sure to wear your hockey cup backwards. And, if you look down & see three hands while using a urinal, it's time to get out of there.

On the other hand (not to be confused with that third hand) there is seriously great riding about 5 or 6 hours north, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Ride the Kancamagus (NH Rt 112), Mt. Washington (NH Rt 16), and Crawford Notch (NH Rt 302).

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 01-26-2011 at 08:08 PM.