Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Fuel pouring from air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Bobbed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pouring from air filter

i have a custom cooper with an evo engine. Stock CV carb. Issue came up today after going on a ride that was about 150miles. I had pulled off the interstate and came to a red light in which my bike had died. Wouldn't fire back up so I pushed it to the shoulder to further inspect what was going on. I took a glance to the right side of the engine and noticed fuel would be dumping out of the bottom of my air cleaner cover constantly without the bike running. So right now I'm at a truck stop waiting for a truck and trailer to arrive and take me and the bike home.

Tomorrow I'll probably get around to taking the cover off and air cleaner to see where it's coming from. While I'm sitting here waiting, any thoughts on what this could be in the carb that's causing all this fuel to come out?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I would wager to bet your float (plastic bubble thing in the bottom of carb) is probably stuck up and letting gas flow threw uninterrupted. Or.... There is a buildup of crap in the little rubber tipped brass valve that the float controlls. Either way pull your carb off and do a good cleaning and inspection. Maybe do a small inline filter after reassembly to stop this from cutting another ride short. Good luck man.

And since I assume your still sitting on the side of the road right now..... Turn your petcock off asap. The fuel may just be running into your cylinders and past the piston rings into your lower end.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Bobbed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 May update

Got the filter off. Turned the bike on, choke and fuel **** on and after a few seconds the source of all the fuel started coming out the needle jet collar.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Also check fuel cap for proper venting. If the tank is pressurized, fuel can get pushed out the carb. Had it happen on Mikuni's before.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with a long punch (cover it with tape to protect carb finish) LIGHTLY tap using a hammer to see if it the float needle seats. If not, remove, clean and adjust float/pin/seat assembly. Try again.