Can you Identify this Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:43 AM
CSA
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you Identify this Frame?

Hey Fellas!

Need a little help. I have been gearing up to build my own custom and this last weekend I found a bike that has the look I want to go for. I have been really thinking of which way to go, and seeing this scoot really made my mind up. I definatley want to go with a Shovel and keep it kind of ol's school. I took some shots of the bike (see below). I tried to locate the owner at the meet, but I couldn't find him. Can anyone tell me what frame this is? I am thinking it may be a 65 to 69 FLH frame, or maybe a altered XLCH? Not sure. That Sporty tank throws me off! LOL!!

Anyone know? Thanks for the time!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Can you Identify this Frame?

The big twins all used the same frame up to about 1984. In '84 there were shovels and Evos being sold new at dealerships and I don't know if the frames were all changed to fit Evos or if the frame matched the engine for size. The Evo engine is physically larger than the shovelhead so the frame is different to accommodate whatever engine is being used.
The frame in your photo appears to be a stock frame with some molding done up around the steering head to smooth it out. The round swingarm is an older design. I don't remember when Harley went with the rectangular swingarm.
Oh yeah, it looks like there may be 2 inches or soof stretch added to the front legs as well.
I see also that he removed the brace (tube)from the steering head to the top motor mount. I hope he welded in some sort ofgusset to replace that brace.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:14 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll say a pre 73 flh frame with modified neck ???

Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 AM
CSA
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas!

Yeah I would agree it's pre 73 FLH. Definately streched modified neck. I would also say they he removed mounts and what not. I have found 2 or 3 on Ebay that would work. ..............One more month or so. Gonna build a small shop on my property next month. Room for tools and a bike lift. Gonna be a fun project and it will be a piece meal job, to say the least. I am gonna go with a later model Shovelhead. I like the S&S 93's, but It would take me forever to come up with that kind of cash. Probably buy a used one and clean it up! It has been awhile, but I feel comfortable about a full rebuild if necessary. Haven't gotten any further then that yet. If I get this off the ground I will shoot ya all some pics of what I've done!

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
ARBY
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like late sixties/early seventies round swing arm 4 speed frame set up for drum brake. Neck looks molded but I don't see any noticeable rake or stretch. Probably a stock 30 degrees. I've got a few just like it.