Custom Models All custom bikes.

Building a Paughco custom

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Paughco custom

I have been thinking about building/rebuilding a bobber for several months. But I can’t really find a good cheap donor bike. While searching the interwebs I came across the Paughco website. They seem to have almost everything needed to build a bike. I was wondering whom has done this and what was your experience working with Paughco.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

Well thousands of people have done it with a paughco frame as have I a few times. The company has been around since the seventies and are one of the largest frame manufacturers. They also own several smaller companies as well.

The frames are good quality and they have a huge number of options for whatever you want to build. They will also make you a custom frame but you will have wait time.

Go for it. The only recommendation I will give you is to take your height into consideration. If you go crazy stretch and are 5-8 you might have some problems.

I can build a bike cheaper without a donor bike but I know exactly what's fits whati and what I am going to use at this point so it cuts down on costs not having to buy the same parts over again because the don't fit

Good luck and feel free to pm me with questions

Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Mntmatty
Novice

i love my 07 paugho! used a donor 2000 1200 sporty. I am happy i had the donor bike but agree that now that i know what to expect I wouldnt need it

Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to keep it simple with the frame with a single down tube, springer frontend and one of their motors.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Mr.Barnes
Intermediate

Make sure the springer you run is wide enough for a front disc brake setup if you intend on having a front brake. I love my narrow springer but if I could go back in time I would make sure to order a springer that would work with a front disc. Those mini drums wont even hold me at a stop on a hill. Nothing like dancing a jig to pull away on a hill, im glad I decided against a jockey shift.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree with the above. A light and simple bike is fun but I am over my younger days when I thought drum brakes were cool. Brakes brakes more brakes. I have been using a two piston will wood in the rear and a stock softail one up front and they work quite well

Here is a pic of my paughco

Attached Thumbnails Building a Paughco custom-image.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,839 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I agree with the above. A light and simple bike is fun but I am over my younger days when I thought drum brakes were cool. Brakes brakes more brakes. I have been using a two piston will wood in the rear and a stock softail one up front and they work quite well

Here is a pic of my paughco

Funny you should mention brakes This is what happens when you have lots of spare stuff laying around and your bored . I did it just because I could and actually worked out like ABS for me I have to stand on pedal to lock them but it'll haul it down fast

I just snagged a deal on a set of 4 piston Wilwoods I'm going to set them on the 60MM inverted frontend I'm running , the stock calipers are ok but .............

OP I've built over a dozen bikes using Paucgho frames from hardtails to stretched swingarmed bike and they are solid and most times thing fit fairly well for the price ( can't beat it ) but think about making your own heavier add on brackets like the upper motor mount tabs sometimes they used rather thin stamped sheet metal but it's no big deal if your already in that deep . Other thing I'll suggest do a careful fit up of all the bolt on goodies like the tranny plate , forward controls , and the tabs for oil tanks and such found some stuff to off a bit and had to moved or tweaked a bit for the best fit . I have had a frame come in with the neck 3 deg off so once so I do suggest you set it up and do a alignment check on everything before you start in . Real easy to do with a string line and a length of pipe or rod . PM me if want particulars .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-23-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

now that's some brakes

Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain

That sound stop a bike for sure.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
sickchops
Stage II

TwiZted Biker could you please message me about the checking of alignment of the paughco frames. I am thinking of getting one and want to know more about how to check one as i have no frame jig to do so. Thanks