Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Water spots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
gaffney
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSeaDaddy
Do not use dish soap as this ruins all types of paint.
Seems odd that Harley would tell you to do so in the user's manual.

Here's the exact wording from the manual...

How to Clean
1. For heavier deposits:
a. Use grease cutting dishwashing detergent and a clean H-D wash-mitt. (Dillute the detergent per the instruction provided by its manufacturer.)
b. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.

2. For light deposts, use glass cleaner (ammonia base) and H-D Soft Cloth. This helps remove finger prints and light soil.

3. For final detailing use H-D Gloss with H-D Soft Cloth.

I surely hope that Harley doesn't want me to intentionally ruin my paint by telling me this.

I use Ajax on my bike without any problems, so far.

Back on topic. I'll bet the vinegar trick will do the job. I completely forgot about using it as a cleaner.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do Not use any polishes on your denim paint it will ruin it. As 2kids3pets said, white vinegar ( a mild acid) should remove any calcium residue left from hard water.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

Hi great info! I have a set of black short shots on my 09 iron which it is denim silver and the silver is totally diff. I dont want my paint to mar and fade so i wax my silver and it has a gloss finish but i know for a fack the black will look like crap if you wax it. The silver is sort of shiny to start with but my problem is water spots on my gloss black parts and my matte blqack shields and other matte black parts. I wash my bike at work and blow dry it but this is still happening and it drives me nuts. When i wax the gloss it looks alot better but i wanted to kinda throw my situation out there cause i cant stand water spots.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 AM
GROWLNTA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigSeaDaddy
As a paint guy do not use the the quick detail that comes with the clay bar. It is a wax based product and this will wreck your denim paint!!! You can pick up a clay bar without the Quick Detailer. The reason they use it is for luberication to protect the clear coat and not create swirl marks.

To get rid of the water spots mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar with 2 gallons distilled water and 8 oz of good car wash soap. Do not use dish soap as this ruins all types of paint. Use a good microfiber and then rinse back down with distilled or filtered water. Do this in the shade and not under full sun!

If the future be very careful about washing your bike in the sun. If you are in an area with hard water you will want to do it in full shade so you have time to get the water off before it drys or keep adding vinegar to your water at a lower mix.

Good luck!
Curious... you say your a paint guy? As in you paint cars/bikes? or you just enjoy detailing paint?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM
GROWLNTA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gaffney
Seems odd that Harley would tell you to do so in the user's manual.

Here's the exact wording from the manual...

How to Clean
1. For heavier deposits:
a. Use grease cutting dishwashing detergent and a clean H-D wash-mitt. (Dillute the detergent per the instruction provided by its manufacturer.)
b. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.

2. For light deposts, use glass cleaner (ammonia base) and H-D Soft Cloth. This helps remove finger prints and light soil.

3. For final detailing use H-D Gloss with H-D Soft Cloth.

I surely hope that Harley doesn't want me to intentionally ruin my paint by telling me this.

I use Ajax on my bike without any problems, so far.

Back on topic. I'll bet the vinegar trick will do the job. I completely forgot about using it as a cleaner.
Exactly my point in asking my previous question... I used to work at a very WELL known *bentleys, Benz, BWM, RollsRoyce, etc....* and if they paid for a Full detail and wanted the swirls removed... only way to do that is to strip the old wax off... which is what dish soap is perfect for.... it doesnt cause any damage to paint unless you let it dry on your paint... rubber should be treated with a moisturizing agent after exposure... other then that dish soap will do NOTHING to your paint other then strip your wax off... and if you are a "paint" guy, you should know the only way to remove swirls is by removing your current wax to get to the swirls... otherwise when you apply this "swirl remover" all your doing is Hiding them and covering them or filling them... which doesnt remove them...

Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
harley@mattssi.com
4th Gear

any luck on those water spots? I haven't even taken my bike out for a ride and I have 4 or em that I can not get off!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GROWLNTA
Exactly my point in asking my previous question... I used to work at a very WELL known *bentleys, Benz, BWM, RollsRoyce, etc....* and if they paid for a Full detail and wanted the swirls removed... only way to do that is to strip the old wax off... which is what dish soap is perfect for.... it doesnt cause any damage to paint unless you let it dry on your paint... rubber should be treated with a moisturizing agent after exposure... other then that dish soap will do NOTHING to your paint other then strip your wax off... and if you are a "paint" guy, you should know the only way to remove swirls is by removing your current wax to get to the swirls... otherwise when you apply this "swirl remover" all your doing is Hiding them and covering them or filling them... which doesnt remove them...
YEP +1 I AM a paint guy. Dish soap won't hurt anything. And what's the 4 step....... a dance move??? It's numbers #2, #9 and #26 unless you count clay as a step. in that case, ok, 4 steps.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM
RavenBlackRoadGlide
Stage II

Thanks to all! The internet always has the answer, especially when knowledgeable individuals like yourselves post to forums such as this! The white vinegar worked like a charm!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 AM
land of giants
Advanced
Default water spots

Originally Posted by DarkTrak
I have no idea how I got them but NOTHING takes them off....
you got them by allowing water drops to dry on your bike. The acids, chemicals etc even natural minerals in just water will leave marks/spots. This is even worse when allowed to dry in the sun.
This will occur even on gloss paints. If you wash your bike, car etc in the direct sun, only do a section at a time and rinse. I keep the whole vehicle wet at every rinse and then towel dry.
As to removal on denim paint once its there? Try the detailer suggested above.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM
dcc46
Tourer

The vinegar worked like a charm. Thanks

Quick Reply: Water spots!!!!