Remove rub marks in paint - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Remove rub marks in paint

P

Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I would try just Glare first and see if that works for you.
Always do the least aggressive method first.
I called the local Honda dealers, both cars and bikes, and neither one stocks 'Honda Glare Professional Polish'. ".... customers won't buy it because it's so expensive". I was hoping to find a good deal locally but apparently that isn't going to happen.

So far the best deal I can find is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-H...Q5fMerchandise
Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM
One Of The Regulars

Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Jake View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately it's not cheaper for me after adding shipping which is $11.60 for my zip code. The eBay item is still the better deal for me by about 4 bucks.

But I'm happy to report that I went to Target, spent $9.95 plus tax for Meguires Scratch X 2.0 and my clear coat clouds have entirely disappeared after a couple applications on each spot. The instructions call for 100% cotton towel but I used a micro fiber towel instead. I imagine it would have worked either way.

I also used it on the door handle wells on my car and all those scratches are gone too.....yipppeeeee!

After I win the California Lottery one of the first things I'll buy will be the Glare Professional Polish....to use on the Ferrari that I'll also buy....hee hee

VR

Qty Item Total 1 Honda Pro Glare Professional Polish 12 oz $19.99

Subtotal $19.99 Shipping $11.60 Tax $0.00 Total $31.59
Qty Item Total 1 Honda Pro Glare Professional Polish 12 oz $19.99

Subtotal $19.99 Shipping $11.60 Tax $0.00 Total $31.59

Last edited by HOGNOT; 02-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Senior Rider

I just tried the Meguires Scratch X 2.0 on my Screamin' Eagle aluminum billet chrome plated air cleaner which also had rub marks and bada bing bada boom...they have disappeared too....yeeeehawwww. There's nothing on the Meguires bottle that says to try it on chrome but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. My Turtle Wax Chrome Polish didn't work at all. So, I think I'm really getting some good mileage out of my ten bucks.

VR

Last edited by HOGNOT; 02-19-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Without a photo, it's hard to say what to use exactly, but on paint, you can't go wrong with trying a cleaner wax -- I use Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax and it's amazing what kind of paint transfer, scratches and even permanent marker stains (graffiti) it can remove. If that doesn't work, try Scratch Remover and some finesse and then follow with a cleaner wax. Quality cleaner waxes and scratch removers are available at your local auto or motorcycle supply -- just avoid the ones that are under $5 and you probably can't go wrong.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
One Of The Regulars

I tried the Glare proffesional and it got the scuff 95% out. I think a buffer would help. I like the polish but I am not sure if its worth the money.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD Dog 23 View Post
I tried the Glare professional and it got the scuff 95% out. I think a buffer would help. I like the polish but I am not sure if its worth the money.
First, the "trick" I found to Glare polish is rubbing it in fairly aggressive (like rubbing compound) the first time. You may need to do this more than once to remove the other 5%. Then for a final coat apply it lightly like wax and wipe it off.

A buffer could help. I would recommend a Porter Cable 7424xp with Lake Country polishing pads. The white pad for polishing then the grey pad for finishing should work.

Second let me say I like the Zaino products. Zaino Z-5 for dark colors then Z-2 for a bright shine, or just Z-2 for light colors. If you have scuffs, fine scratches, swirl marks or spider webs this stuff is 99.9% optically clear and will make bright scratches. Paint prep work BEFORE applying Zaino is the key to using their products.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:07 PM

I realize this is a pretty old post, but i had this problem due to my front tool pouch saddle bag rubbing up against my front fender. And i looked at this post while searching for a fix.
I had about a 2-3 inch thick all the way across my fender rub mark and now you wouldn't know it was ever there. I would say it fixed it 98% once your clearcoat has that much damage, without re painting i dont think you can fix it 100%. But like i said you wouldn't know it was ever there.

This is the fix
Meguiars scratch x 2.0 ($11 bucks a bottle)
Terry towels
Micro fiber towels
And a bit of elbow grease.

Mine was really bad and took about 5 coats, but it only took about 15 minutes to do. Directions are on the bottle... i only used the micro fiber towel because after i was done polishing with the terry towel it let a little bit of lent, wiped right off with the micro fiber. You can then still re use the micro fiber.. those aint cheap but the terry towels are.
Ill post some pics of the finished product if yal woiuld like.

Btw you can get the stuff at pretty much any auto parts store
Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM
Road Warrior

I've noticed that around my filler cap
Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansc93 View Post
I realize this is a pretty old post, but i had this problem due to my front tool pouch saddle bag rubbing up against my front fender. And i looked at this post while searching for a fix.
I had about a 2-3 inch thick all the way across my fender rub mark and now you wouldn't know it was ever there. I would say it fixed it 98% once your clearcoat has that much damage, without re painting i dont think you can fix it 100%. But like i said you wouldn't know it was ever there.

This is the fix
Meguiars scratch x 2.0 ($11 bucks a bottle)
Terry towels
Micro fiber towels
And a bit of elbow grease.

Mine was really bad and took about 5 coats, but it only took about 15 minutes to do. Directions are on the bottle... i only used the micro fiber towel because after i was done polishing with the terry towel it let a little bit of lent, wiped right off with the micro fiber. You can then still re use the micro fiber.. those aint cheap but the terry towels are.
Ill post some pics of the finished product if yal woiuld like.

Btw you can get the stuff at pretty much any auto parts store
I'm glad you brought it up

P