Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backpacks and Apes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Backpacks and Apes

So i have a daily round trip commute to work and back of 100 miles on my 2014 street bob with stock apes. Im thinking of trying a backpack to make my life easier. Stuff ill take with me are my lunch (wont have to buy lunch anymore so ill save money and time on my lunch break), some energy drinks, maybe a thermos of coffee, lense cleaner kit, baseball cap, hand warmers and other knick knacks i might need. I leave for work at 4:30 am and come home 3:30pm ish so its chilly going in and warm coming home so ill carry my jacket liner and a long sleeve shirt, beanie, bandanas, gloves, etc coming home.

Heres my concern, whats it like with apes? Dont think iv ever seen anyone with apes and a backpack on the road. Im sure its simple on a crotch rocket or even with drag bars but i imagine it would make someones arms and shoulders pretty tired.

Iv been looking at the Kriega r25 but looks like most packs are targeted towards jap bike riders. Anyway, just looking for options and opinions.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Well I can tell you I ride a '14 street bob with the stock mini apes and wear a backpack as well. Its fine, and personally I find it a lot more convenient than saddle bags. I also carry my lunch box, water jug, hat, gloves etc. in my back pack and room to toss a hoody in as well. Or on the days I go to school, I carry my text books. Only problem with my backpack is , that it is rather large and I had to snug the straps up to keep it from rubbing on the fender, but no big deal to me. I have a military style backpack and it works well for me, hop off the bike and walk away, no fumbling with saddle bags.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea what i really want is a maxpedition or TAD pack but figured biker bags would be better for whatever reason. I love all the pockets and molle loops that the military bags have. I also dont want to scratch my fender all up though. I have an old adidas bag im going to try before i buy a new bag.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Deadhead77
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my back pack and bedroll strapped to my sissy bar. I ride with backpack when needed or strap it on the bike or put on my solo bag.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Backpacks work fine for any style handlebars.

If you're not too uptight to have some fun with them, I bought my wife a "Barbie" backpack a couple of years ago, and my daughter bought me a "Spiderman" backpack this Christmas, both for ridin' our Harleys.

Photo of my wife heading out the door for work with her Barbie backpack, with lunch, work laptop and a few other things inside:

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-19-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a Kuryakyn custom roll. It has built in straps and D-rings on top to strap a jacket or whatever. And the side pockets expand like 2-3 inches on both sides. I have saddle bags now.

Weekend Camping trip

Last edited by JaronB; 01-19-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM
markdh720
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden tons of places while wearing a backpack and riding my 14 SB. Often, it's my gym gear or tools. It's not uncomfortable and I don't think it looks ridiculous or anything.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding with a backpack to work for years. I use the "military style" bag that is found at Walmart. If you are carrying alot it's good to have a bag with a lumbar and chest strap to help stabilize the weight. Honestly, it's not the most comfortable thing but it isn't horrible. (speaking as someone who has to go to the chiropractor once a month also). Personally I want to get a sissy bar and just strap it to that to make life easier but just wearing it is definitely plausible.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Have 10" T bars and use a backpack without any issues.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:25 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Backpacks work fine for any style handlebars.

If you're not too uptight to have some fun with them, I bought my wife a "Barbie" backpack a couple of years ago, and my daughter bought me a "Spiderman" backpack this Christmas, both for ridin' our Harleys.

Photo of my wife heading out the door for work with her Barbie backpack, with lunch, work laptop and a few other things inside:

I like your sense of humor.

Quick Reply: Backpacks and Apes