Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight speed wobble possible.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 PM
SNFXDB
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight speed wobble possible.

New here, been following the Dyna section for some time. Picked up a Street Bob in January and do not know why i waited so long.

I seem to be noticing a slight speed wobble or something similar at speeds above 65. Seems to start shaking the bike a little bit and goes away right away when i put some good pressure on the bars. Sometimes gets a little uneasy feeling.

Any suggestions on what to look for or maybe add to help alleviate this? Stabilizer? Bike tracs straight as an arrow so it seems all aligned.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id check tire balance and steering head adjustment.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Id check tire balance and steering head adjustment.
+1

YouTube or Google search "fall away test"

It's not rocket science...... It's easy to adjust, especially in a dyna. It's something I do routinely. I live in Kansas, and in tornado alley..... It's super windy here, and the last thing I need is steering wobble.

I know your bike is newer, but the wheel bearings could be shot as well. Bearings can give a really uneasy feeling to your ride. Hope you figure it out.... Harley's are supposed to be fun to ride!

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good recommendations! Start with the easy, common, inexpensive solutions. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. In addition to tire balance, make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Best of luck.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 AM
SNFXDB
Stage III

Thanks for the responses, i will check it and give the outcome.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 AM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on the tires?
What kind of tires?
How many miles on the bike?

I've found in the past that most minor wiggles/wobbles can be cured by replacing the front tire and/or fork oil. Head bearings, wheel bearings, spokes though obviously important maintenance items, do not typically cure this symptom.

Accessories like stabilizers should be used to optimize the bike's handling... NOT curing a problem that shouldn't be there!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
Accessories like stabilizers should be used to optimize the bike's handling... NOT curing a problem that shouldn't be there!
Truth!

You've been given some good starting points. I'd guess it has to do with tire balance.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM
SNFXDB
Stage III

I just hit 1800 miles, factory harley tires Michelin i think.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SNFXDB
I just hit 1800 miles, factory harley tires Michelin i think.
Has it felt uneasy since you first got it? Were you a sport bike guy before?

I ask because when I rode my first Dyna after being on nothing but sport bikes, it handled like a wet noodle in comparison.

All the basic checks recommended here are great starts, and I agree with making sure you fix the cause vice the symptom. Since your bike is so new, I highly recommend taking it in to the dealer with the complaint of "wobble at speed" and see what they come back with. If everything's in spec, then you may need to consider other options.

I've invested a lot of money and time getting mine to handle well at high speed, so if you're after that sport bike feel, be prepared to part with some cash. I've littered this forum with posts in search of decent handling. The good news is, most of upgrades are fun and rewarding if you like tinkering (and road testing).

Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

My T-Sport used to wobble a bit around 100mph, then started doing it when going downhill fast...my tech buddy just had me give the stem nut 1/8 turn more than spec; cured...

Quick Reply: Slight speed wobble possible.