Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide fairing install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A quick side note for those following this. The "part number" stamped on a Harley part is not necessarily a part number. The outer fairing had a XXXXX-58F part number inside of it. I couldn't find any reference to that number online so I called my local HD parts guy and after looking for that number he told me that the numbers are not always correct. No where on my fairing does the correct part number, 58733-98B, appear. Something to keep in mind when searching on ebay or at swap meets.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM
buellrider76
Tourer

I'm going to pick up the parts from the painter here in a couple hours. I'll post pictures soon.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 PM
buellrider76
Tourer

So the painter charged me $250 for labor as I supplied the paint. I think they came out pretty good. I do have some concern with the way the bezel fits around the headlight. Seems like water could get forced into the fairing at speed. I also have a cover, 67759-98A, that is stock on '08 but doesn't look as clean. I may try to find a way to put a gasket between the headlights and bezel.

Attached Thumbnails Roadglide fairing install-imag00031-2-.jpg   Roadglide fairing install-imag00032-2-.jpg   Roadglide fairing install-imag00036-2-.jpg  

Last edited by buellrider76; 04-21-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 PM
buellrider76
Tourer

There are three little plastic tabs that lock into the outer fairing in the headlight housing. They will probably not come with any flea market setup and should probably be replaced even if they do. The touring forum has a post on carefully heating and spreading the tabs to keep the headlight from rattling in it's slot. Part # 67981-98A and they are less than $5.

Edit: a hairdryer is not hot enough to soften the plastic. *SNAP*! Do it gently....

Attached Thumbnails Roadglide fairing install-imag00033-2-.jpg   Roadglide fairing install-imag00034-2-.jpg  

Last edited by buellrider76; 04-22-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM
wheelerfolk
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM
firecop9774
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelerfolk
subscribed
Me too. This is gonna be cool.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

So I had been going back and forth on how I wanted to wire the fairing (radio/gauges) in and after some research I think I'm gonna use the connectors under the seat to make it simple. I will post more once I dig into that wiring.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:57 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

So here is my solution to wiring up the fairing. I am using the acc port under the seat and running a new loom up the backbone. If you look at the wiring diagram (2008 Dyna model) you can see that the 2 O/R wires on pins 1 and 3 come directly from the CUST ACCY-15A fuse which comes from the ACC on the ignition switch. Pin 4 is the chassis ground. The R/Y wire on pin 3 comes from the rear stop lamp switch. Only connect to pin 3 for brake light applications. (or screw with your buddy and run a wire from pin 3 to his horn!) I ordered 70264-94A, dual acc harness, from Harley for $17! For once a part that's cheaper than I can build it. I also ordered the male connectors from them. Part numbers are on the receipt. It's cheaper if you order from Batts Racing, http://www.deutschconnector.com/, but I was at the dealership already and it was a convenience thing.

So now with the splitter and new connectors I have four power with ignition wires and two grounds. I will run that up into an eight way plug (DT06-08SB Plug Assembly) that I ordered from Batts so that I can unplug the entire fairing with a single plug! Well almost... I also ordered a power plug (DTHD04-1-8P Receptacle Assembly) from them to run the 10 AWG to the amp. So the eight pin, the power plug and the headlight connectors and the fairing comes right off!

One thing to mention about the Batts Racing site is that the connectors come with pins or plugs as applicable. They also sell the crimping tools and insertion/removal tools. If wiring terrifies you, they also sell prebuild harnesses to your specifications. Just expect to pay a bit more for that option.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 AM
buellrider76
Tourer
Default Turn signals

So the turn signals became a giant pain in the butt....

I ordered a set of 2012 Roadglide turn signals from a forum member and after $60, two weeks, 20 texts and numerous excuses I received a set of $5 ebay plastic signals. (a refund check has been "in the mail" for the last week so I won't post a name.....yet)

A stock set from the dealership is almost $240! They're damn turn signals! Anyway through a little patience, I finally found a set of stock RG turn signals for $100 shipped from ebay. I know you can move your stock ones down to the forks but I really liked the look of the stock mounting setup on the RG fairing. You can see from the picture how they mount. The plug is that same part number from the dyna and RG models so it is a plug-and-play option. Now wire length.... We'll find out when I open the bike up. I may have to de-pin the stock blinkers and use that wiring. As you can see I do not like splicing wires. If you can run a new wire or wire bundle instead of splicing you're ahead of the power curve IMHO.

Another option is to de-pin your stock turn signals and just buy the base from the dealership. Part numbers: 68933-04 and 69199-04, left and right. You will need to buy a threaded stud as seen in the photo as Harley does not provide a part number for that.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:31 AM
buellrider76
Tourer

A quick side note:

There are aftermarket signals available for the RG fairing. One really cool (and expensive) set is http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/2/f...h-turn-signals. At $310 from Amazon they are only slightly more than a full stock set, give you a second set of lights and are available in black. If you factor in powdercoat for stock signals this is a cheaper option. I almost bit and probably still might....

This damn things is getting expensive!

Quick Reply: Roadglide fairing install