Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tear drop vs round air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 PM
YoDA
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tear drop vs round air cleaner

I have a 2012 Street Bob with the tear drop style air cleaner, but I like the look of the round ones on the 2013+ models. If I get the whole AC round assembly, will it match up and is a perfect fit to my 2012 or are there mount modifications between the two?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure, though it probably would (I doubt there were any differences between the two EFIs, cylinders etc...).

But, it looks like DK customs, and probably others, makes some pretty good versions which look like they fit...

Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure, though it probably would (I doubt there were any differences between the two EFIs, cylinders etc...).

But, it looks like DK customs, and probably others, makes some pretty good versions which look like they fit...

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 AM
pntmachine
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it should fit as well but you might want to consider stage 1.

Last edited by pntmachine; 04-21-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Stage 1 kit and OEM HD Blackline or the 13+ street bob cover should give you the look you want and a stage 1. This is a Blackline cover.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 AM
YoDA
Cruiser

I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding using an aftermarket or stage I AC, hoepwever, my question is can is swap out a STOCK teardrop AC with a STOCK round? I understand the complete assembly must be changed etc., all I want to know is will it be a straight bolt on or will it not fit? Anyone done this??

Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YoDA
I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding using an aftermarket or stage I AC, hoepwever, my question is can is swap out a STOCK teardrop AC with a STOCK round? I understand the complete assembly must be changed etc., all I want to know is will it be a straight bolt on or will it not fit? Anyone done this??
Stock parts interchangeability can usually be worked out with a simple comparison of the two applicable parts books - there's a few places that you can do this online if you haven't got the book but I like Granite State best as they seem to be both complete and up to date with models/years. To answer the question - 2011 and 2013 models use the exact same throttle body so yes, the newer parts will bolt right on - if you look at the 2013 book, also note that for some reason (obscure regulation I'd guess) HDI models still use the teardrop so once again, this means you can bolt on the new style assembly. Shouldn't be hard to find someone that pulled off the entire thing - usually they are hard to get rid of unless someone wants the stock cover.

http://www.granitestateharleystore.c...partfinder.htm

Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 PM
YoDA
Cruiser

I'll check out the link and see if the round one fits for sure. I'm guessing the round vs the teardrop separated by only one year will be a straight bolt on. Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The teardrop vs the round filter. You do know that the round filter element uses a different backing plate. Because they do. Look through a HD Parts & accessory catalog and you'll see the difference. Right around $50 bucks through Harley. I have several of each type, and they all use the two mounting bolts, but some will not align with your throttle body. HD part # is cast into the aluminum backing plate. Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM
CincyRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
The teardrop vs the round filter. You do know that the round filter element uses a different backing plate. Because they do. Look through a HD Parts & accessory catalog and you'll see the difference. Right around $50 bucks through Harley. I have several of each type, and they all use the two mounting bolts, but some will not align with your throttle body. HD part # is cast into the aluminum backing plate. Hope this helps.
LOL, a few I thinks and a couple of I guess so's...

Have you compared the two if you have them both? Will the the round filter backing plate shown for the 2013 FXDB # 29347-08 be a direct replacement for the football backing plate shown for the 96 c.i. FXDB # 29182-08A ?

Last edited by CincyRider; 05-12-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Tear drop vs round air cleaner