Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 wideglide help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Peter Chadwell
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2014 wideglide help

Does the 14 wideglide have a clutch cable or is it hydrolic clutch. The reason I ask is fluid is leaking from where you adjust the clutch where it is clamped to the frame. Fluid is coming out at the bottom of the rubber boot that covers where you adjust the clutch cable at. I don't understand why it would be leaking. The bike is technically new since I bought it new in May. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

It is just a cable running inside it. Sounds like someone over lubed the cable. Have you had it in for service lately and they lubed your cables?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:53 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Super08
It is just a cable running inside it. Sounds like someone over lubed the cable. Have you had it in for service lately and they lubed your cables?
That would be my guess also.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Peter Chadwell
Cruiser

I took it in for its first service. About two months ago, not sure what all they did besides change out all the fluids. About two weeks ago I noticed a puddle of clean yellowish oil on my garage floor probably about an ounce or two. So I cleaned it up and that's when I noticed the oil seeping out of the rubber boot on the clutch cable.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

'A clean yellowish oil', sounds like your vent tube on the transmission cover could be blocked, if it can't vent it's going to push your transmission fluid up through your clutch cable. Those vent tubes can become blocked with mud or insects, with an ounce or two lost you might also want to verify your transmission fluid level is correct as well...

Edited to add: Here's an image of my Wide Glide, you can see the location of the transmission vent tube:

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 10-27-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Peter Chadwell
Cruiser

Thanks for the help gents, gonna look into it as soon as I get some free time.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Yup if it is an ounce or two it is more than just some cable lube seeping out. That makes it a game changer.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Peter Chadwell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
'A clean yellowish oil', sounds like your vent tube on the transmission cover could be blocked, if it can't vent it's going to push your transmission fluid up through your clutch cable. Those vent tubes can become blocked with mud or insects, with an ounce or two lost you might also want to verify your transmission fluid level is correct as well...

Edited to add: Here's an image of my Wide Glide, you can see the location of the transmission vent tube:

UPDATE: So I looked in the tray vent rube an low and behold a dirt diver or whatever you call those darn bugs decided to make a nest in there so I'm guessing you were right TinCupChalice. So do you know if all I have to do is take pff that top cover that the vent rube is connected to to clean it out? If so is it just a matter of taking out the few he key bolts that hold it on or is it more to it than that? Thanks again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Cool, glad you found the problem. With the new 6-speed I honestly have never pulled the hose as of yet but it does have a square end inside the transmission cover that fits in a slot, pulling it would most likely tear off the square end. When I get home later this AM I'll open up the SM and check and post up the info on pulling it out...

I would check your transmission fluid level, cold and on the jiffy stand. Screw the stick in until the o-ring just seats; don't tighten it, then remove it to check to be certain the level is at the full line on the stick...

Damn Florida bugs

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 10-30-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: found and added better image...
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

OK, first off, thanks for posting this problem you experienced up on the forum; it got me checking into it and I'm always learning something interesting about these newer HD's. I don't agree with all the changes HD has made from the older bikes but they certainly didn't ask me. Another simple job HD decided to complicate

The newer style transmission vent tube is pulled through from the inside of the cover so to remove the tube to clear it you're going to have to pull the cover off which obviously raises the question about the gasket and I'd say smart money is to have a new gasket available just to play it safe:

34917-06 Cover Gasket $5.00

If your vent tube is damaged or you can't clear it:

62372-09 Vent Tube $4.00

Use 90 - 120 in-lbs torque on the cover screws

I found an image so you can see what it looks like in there:

Edit: I do want to add, in this image you can see the reason the cover needed to be removed, it's that black square from the old vent tube that was torn off when someone tried to pull it out...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 10-30-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 wideglide help