Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pingel petcock

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:27 AM
chasenfins
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pingel petcock

Ok, so I know there's got to be a thread about this but when I search it I don't see anything. My tank is being repainted as we speak and I want to sap from the OEM petcock to a Pingel as I'm told they are the best. Question though, most the ones I see are gravity fed and my bike has a vacuum petcock. Can't I just swap them and pinch off the vacuum hose? Only difference is now I'll have to remember to shut off the fuel everytime I shut the bike down right? Whats everyones thoughts?

Old 12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Even with a vacuum petcock you should always be manually turning the petcock to the 'off' position; the diaphragm, spring and seat have been known to fail and leak or remain open. Trust, but verify

I've always swapped the petcocks for Pingel petcocks, a vacuum cap will be included with the petcock so you can pull the vacuum hose completely and cap the barb on the carb. You'll get in to the habit of turning the fuel on and off at the petcock, it's such a habit with me after all these years that when I bought my first FI Harley, a '13 Wide Glide I still reach down to turn the fuel off when I shut the bike down

Old 08-31-2016, 03:58 AM
ERICBLAIR2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No matter at you decide?

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Even with a vacuum petcock you should always be manually turning the petcock to the 'off' position; the diaphragm, spring and seat have been known to fail and leak or remain open. Trust, but verify

I've always swapped the petcocks for Pingel petcocks, a vacuum cap will be included with the petcock so you can pull the vacuum hose completely and cap the barb on the carb. You'll get in to the habit of turning the fuel on and off at the petcock, it's such a habit with me after all these years that when I bought my first FI Harley, a '13 Wide Glide I still reach down to turn the fuel off when I shut the bike down

JUST REMEMBER: Key-on- squirt-start -go.😉

Stop-neutral-OFF- COUNT TO 10: KILL~KEY or Key only! ALWAYS!

I'd get rid of that EPA, GLOBAL WARMING'S MY FAULT, don't look at the diesels exhaust we can make some more money with this people: just ride pure! But if you decide to leave that money re-circulating system, pack a parts replacement, tape and ties kit or a raincoat and a book to read waiting for your tow?

Old 08-31-2016, 05:09 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

You won't regret the Pingel. Good choice.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:16 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

That vacuum petcock is gravity feed also. The vacuum opens a valve and allows the gas to flow. They can actually restrict flow as they get old as the rubber get hard and doesn't move as far as it did when new. When I changed mine I noticed the engine ran better as the carb was being starved at higher rpm and under load when more fuel was needed. You will love the pingel.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

Yep that is true, thought I was the only one that ever happened to. On the bright side with FI you don't get in that embarrassing situation of taking off without turning on the fuel. That never happened to me on the HD but I must admit there were a few races when my son was on 2 Strokes that he got a great start only to have the bike try to die in the first turn because dad forgot to check the petcock