Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Front Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 AM
johnnyglass
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Front Turn Signals

Wanting to replace the stock chrome front signals with a black version to match my black Burly bars. I was thinking something like this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/561-045

Install looks pretty cut and dry, amirite? Undo the washer/nut, unplug stock, and plug back in to the new signals?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I seriously doubt those bullet connectors will work. You'll likely have to splice into the stock connectors somehow. Maybe use the stock light wiring as donor parts or buy new pins and connector bodies to crimp up.

Being a 2016, you probably have a considerably more complex electrical diagnostic/communication system than I'm used to. In some cases, aftermarket lamps can cause codes indicating dead lamps if they aren't set up correctly. I don't have any details, but it seems I've read about it somewhere.

I like old stuff. My '99 is too new. It has a circuit boards in it.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:31 AM
damager1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well jeez.... generally speaking JP Cycles is pretty good about indicating compatibility. Although they may not have all the info on the 2016's yet.

Have you actually considered Powercoating the signal's you have? That may be a cheaper route, and everything stays stock, so everything will work

That's actually what I'm going to do w a number of my chrome parts this spring! F it!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Got to agree, paint or powder coat. Lot less money.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

From my experience, there's nothing cut and dry about can bus wiring. I have not had any problems so far, but it's a little tricky.

The stock bullets on my 15 FXDB only had about three inches of wire into the controls. From there, the wiring is set in epoxy, and a new set of wires runs through the bars and into the main harness.

I would agree.... You're probably better off having what you have on the bike powder coated.

This may help.... HD's signal relocation kit instructions.... I know you did;t mention relocation, but the process would still be the same when it comes to removing your sigs.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05467.PDF

Edit..... The stock bullets are basically hard wired into the control switches.... You could cut, then splice.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 03-08-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow Harley dosent make anything simple do they?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 AM
SASK_RT
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyglass
Wanting to replace the stock chrome front signals with a black version to match my black Burly bars. I was thinking something like this:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/561-045

Install looks pretty cut and dry, amirite? Undo the washer/nut, unplug stock, and plug back in to the new signals?

Are you relocating the lights from the bars? The JP Cycle lights should work if you do. You can make your own harness from the wires on the JP lights. You can get the connector and pins you need from the dearlership. The connector would then just plug into the open connector in the backbone. You can pull the grommets near the neck to pull the wires out to get to connectors.

To remove the stock wires, you just snip them off and seal them up.

Good Luck...

Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 PM
damager1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
Wow Harley dosent make anything simple do they?
ummm NO. How else would they feed their babies?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 AM
RR611
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered these from Custom Dynamics. Thought they were pretty cool - low profile and bright as hell.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Wskybent
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SASK_RT

To remove the stock wires, you just snip them off and seal them up.

Not wanting to hijack.....

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to figure this one out as well. I should've relocated my sig's when I bar swapped last summer, but forsight was not with me that day. If I cut the blue, purple, and black wires that feed my bullets, how are they still connected to the switches? I'd like to put them on my triple tree or just run tru-wrapz, but I'm trying to figure out how the switches still activate them. Sorry, wiring and electricity are my crux, not super confident with it.

Quick Reply: Black Front Turn Signals