Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Justntime
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork seals

What is the approximate cost to install fork seals on a 2011 fatbob

Old 06-08-2016, 06:33 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

If you're asking what the dealership or an indy shop would charge I really don't know; I do all my own work. Installing the fork seals isn't a difficult job, I changed mine out when I had my forks off and broken down over the winter and to actually install the seals only took a few minutes.

There are several videos on YouTube that can walk you through the process; you can even improvise the seal seating tool; I like the fancy Motion Pro fork seal driver but it's not mandatory to have to do the job correctly.

If you don't have a way to lift the bike and remove the forks or you're uncomfortable doing the job I'd check with the shops in your area but I'd figure they'll hit you for a minimum of 2 hours labor plus parts. A local independent shop with people who know HD's would be your best bet to get the job done correctly and less expensively than the dealer...

Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Justntime
2nd Gear

I appreciate your input im blessed with mechanical ability however i do not own a lift or motorcycle jack. Probably for cost of labor I should just buy one

Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

The initial expense of a lift, a few tools, and the service manual can save you a great deal more money down the road; and there's enough brain power sitting in the membership of the Dyna Forum to help with any questions you've got.

Even an inexpensive lift like the Harbor Freight 1500lbs motorcycle lift can get the job done. Use a 20% off single item coupon and it's $75.99 invested.

If you perform the SC Longhair mod to the lift you won't need any Dyna lift adapters. Use grade 8 hardware; I used modded HF lifts until I dropped the coin on my J&S lift.

A bit of initial expense, but doing your own work is priceless

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

the seals them selves only cost a few buck. the dealer will pull your pants down on this on because of the time involved. i'd estimate about 2 hours minimum at ~$90/hr . so about $180 plus materials and juices. $250-$300 maybe. call the dealer and get their rate the call a few independant places.
you may be able to bite the bullet and pay them this time around but...

TinCupChalice posted the "how"for the lift if you don't want to use the HD lift adapters. it sucks to take the hit up front but it pays dividends later.

the cost of the lift will work out to about $75 before the mod. $85-$90 after maybe 110 if you need to buy a cheap HFT sawzall

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-62370.html
same 20% coupon hustle applies... just make it two separate transactions ratcheting straps (a must for this job) too...

i also use floor jacks to stabilize my bike on my modded lift.
parts wise... i think you can get away with just replacing the upper seals ($20), and re using the fluid. i wouldn't (me, i am not the general population and i am stupid). i'd do a full rebuild (49379-09 Fork Rebuild Kit x 2 ~$80) and fluid replace (~$30) while you are in there. sounds more complicated than it actually is.

i used the cro-magnon approach... two pvc pipes($4 together) and a rubber mallet ($3) to beat in the seals. 1 1/2" & 2" pvc... 2" to beat in the seal... 1-1/2" to get the stuck 2" pvc off of the tube, lol. --- there tons of other, more intelligent ways to get the seal seated

once you have the forks free of the bike, the work takes maybe 15 - 45 minutes per tube depending on comfort with the process and familiarity with the parts. i was lucky enough to have a complete set of fat bob forks to tear down for practice, then did the job on my sportster prior to doing my dyna. by the time i reached my dyna, it took all of 20 minutes or less per tube.

if you decide to DIY - we are here to help if you need... there are tons of photos and pictures and info in my signature links and about the forums.

Last edited by cvaria; 06-08-2016 at 10:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
Justntime (06-08-2016), TinCupChalice (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Justntime
2nd Gear

Wow. Boom done i njoy. Doing my on mechanical work imm pikin up a jack. Thanxx for yur hlp����

Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Justntime
Wow. Boom done i njoy. Doing my on mechanical work imm pikin up a jack. Thanxx for yur hlp����
That's what I want to hear!

Doing your own work on your ride is the only way; back in the day if you rode an HD and didn't turn your own wrench you were boned. There's no one who will care for your machine like you will Welcome to the exclusive club of real owners!

If you ever get a wild hair one day and want to drop the bux on a J&S lift I can guarantee, it will be some of the best money you'll ever spend. I realize it's expensive but, they can get that lift from my cold dead fingers. Expensive, and worth every damn penny I paid

Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
That's what I want to hear!

Doing your own work on your ride is the only way; back in the day if you rode an HD and didn't turn your own wrench you were boned. There's no one who will care for your machine like you will Welcome to the exclusive club of real owners!

If you ever get a wild hair one day and want to drop the bux on a J&S lift I can guarantee, it will be some of the best money you'll ever spend. I realize it's expensive but, they can get that lift from my cold dead fingers. Expensive, and worth every damn penny I paid

Maaannn.... I wish houses weren't $800k around here. I'd love to have a place to use one of them.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Justntime
Bravo. Service manual, a lift & the tools to do the job will be cheaper than what most shops would charge. To me, the satisfaction of doing it myself is huge, as well as getting to know & understand the inner workings of yer scoot. ****'s also a whole lot easier to repair once you've had it apart & know how it works.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the best Video I could find although 2006 and newer forks don't have the lower oil drain plug.

Quick Reply: Fork seals