Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S

Hey everyone. Need help installing a Memphis Shades Gauntlet Quarter Fairing on my Low Rider S.

Basically, can't get it mounted. It appears the headlight is in the way or maybe a little too high. Did anyone else with a S and Gauntlet have to switch out to a lower headlight block?

Read thru the instructions several times and tried to mount it, but finally gave up. I did remove the stock headlight fairing and all of the mounting hardware.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 PM
jcanrun
Tourer

Forget to mention I bought the mounting kit for a 16 Street Bob.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Have you tried loosening the fork rings from the kit and moving them higher on the fork?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:52 PM
jcanrun
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
Have you tried loosening the fork rings from the kit and moving them higher on the fork?
Yes, tried that. I kept everything loose and tried to move the clamps around.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by jcanrun
Yes, tried that. I kept everything loose and tried to move the clamps around.
So the fork clamps are at the top of the fork tubes? I have the cafe on mine and I just can't see the headlight being too high.

Just to mention, the fairing doesn't exactly mount like they say it does, I.e. Sliding the bracket on the bottom mounting points and swing it up on to the top ones. You actually have to slip it over the headlight first then coax the brackets into place... At least mine does. It takes a little finesse

Last edited by Mchad; 12-11-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 PM
jcanrun
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
So the fork clamps are at the top of the fork tubes? I have the cafe on mine and I just can't see the headlight being too high.

Just to mention, the fairing doesn't exactly mount like they say it does, I.e. Sliding the bracket on the bottom mounting points and swing it up on to the top ones. You actually have to slip it over the headlight first then coax the brackets into place... At least mine does. It takes a little finesse
No the clamps were not at the top. Maybe about 1/2" down from the top. Another issue was the locking mechanism of the mount was contacting the upper triple tree bracket, or whatever you call it (black metal piece at top of forks that the fork tubes go thru).

I actually also mounted the brackets on the fork tubs and then mounted the fairing brackets to the clamps without the fairing and then tried to attach the fairing to the fairing brackets, but didn't work either.

I gave up for tonight and will try again tomorrow after work.

The fairing has a tube like thing on the inside that goes over the headlight bucket. That piece is pretty flexible and not as thick as the main fairing body. I actually thought about cutting that piece out but then I decided to start fresh tomorrow.

I might check with the Dealer tomorrow to see if the headlight block for the S is the same part number as for the Street Bob. If it is, then it's just me doing it wrong.

Last edited by jcanrun; 12-11-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Yes. The LRS and SB use the same headlight mounting block.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 AM
WHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a thought..
Do the SB & LRS have the same headlight trim ring?

I really battled to fit my H-D 1/4 fairing. Turns out I have a wider than stock (although still H-D) trim ring on my headlight. Changed to a narrow trim ri g & it mounted right up....

Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 PM
jcanrun
Tourer

Well I was finally able to install the fairing. Just had to keep everything loose so I could get the fairing to snap onto the brackets. The way I have it mounted and angled, the inner sleeve part of the fairing that goes over the headlight, only really covers the top portion of the headlight. The bottom portion really doesn't cover the headlight bucket due to the screw for the headlight ring. I guess I could make a relief cut on that part of the inner sleeve which would not be visible from the outside. Sounds confusing, I guess you would just have to see if up close. Anyways, here are a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S-20161218_160747.jpg   Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S-20161218_160755.jpg   Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S-20161218_160800.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Looking good man, now you can start reading the 'buffeting' thread ! LOL...b.

Quick Reply: Help Installing Gauntlet on Low Rider S