Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low rider ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 AM
tscad
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low rider ground clearance

Hey everyone, greetings from New Hampshire.
I'm looking to trade in my 2016 XL1200C for a low rider or a street Bob. Love the comfort of the low rider but it seems to have a bit less ground clearance than the bob. Can anyone compare the ground clearance of a sporty to the low rider and street Bob? I like to push my bikes in the corners and I'm wondering if the low rider is capable of leaning a healthy amount.
I have tested both the low rider and Bob but did not get too aggressive with them.
Thanks for any input!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:45 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Depends on the Sportster you Have .. Some of them Have Very Little Ground Clearance, Some have Plenty Depending on the Set up and Shock Length .. My FXD Super Glide is lacking a bit of Ground Clearance but can live with it .. When Test Rode the Low Rider Not sure what the suspension is, but scraped it a lot almost every decent turn .. Scraped the Sportster Shown Once in a Tight Switchback ..

Attached Thumbnails Low rider ground clearance-wildcat1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Chiggerbutt
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can go to the harley website and compare them side by side. That has always been helpful to me when shopping around.

I also know the value of asking people with experience, of which I don't have on the bob, so good luck in your search.

I also love riding my LR, but I'm coming from the touring side of things (which I also love).

Last edited by Chiggerbutt; 05-13-2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 05-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

If you like to push it in the corners, youre gonna want to put real legs on it anyways. Get the one you like and upgrade from there. Youll be happier in the end. Doubt theres alot of clearance between the two stock to make that the deciding factor.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
If you like to push it in the corners, youre gonna want to put real legs on it anyways. Get the one you like and upgrade from there. Youll be happier in the end. Doubt theres alot of clearance between the two stock to make that the deciding factor.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That's the first thing l noticed when l switched from a Sporty to a Dyna about 10 years ago, it's something you learn to live with and fitting 1'' longer rear shocks makes a big difference.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:32 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=petefwa;16234879]That's the first thing l noticed when l switched from a Sporty to a Dyna about 10 years ago, it's something you learn to live with and fitting 1'' longer rear shocks makes a big difference.[/QUOTE]

Very True , The Difference in 5" and 6" Ground Clearance means a whole lot more Lean Angle can get away with ..

Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I used to have a XL1200L. I would scrape the jiffy stand mount all the time with that thing on left turns and pegs and pipes on the right. The FXDL can lean much better. It will occasionally rub a foot peg but not often.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:06 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,532 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Just get the LRS, and you will get your shocks.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:10 PM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Just get the LRS, and you will get your shocks.
l've got Emulsion shocks on my 014 Lowrider, they're a fair improvement over stock but they don't actually increase the ride height.

Quick Reply: Low rider ground clearance