Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley turned off and on while riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Mlopez828
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley turned off and on while riding

I installed the harley chopped fender tail light today, and checked all the running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Everything checked out fine, as soon as i went out for a ride the engine cut off and on back and forth when i rolled on the throttle. I wasnt able to get out of 1st gear when riding with out the engine turning off. The instuctions say that the tailight requires an additional 42mA. I have all stock lights on the bike and thought this wouldnt kill my battery. Im not sure what i need to do to get the bike running like it should be. Any help would be appriciated.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 AM
streetjoebob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did you disconnect the battery when you did the work? if so, check your battery. one time when i finished some work, put my battery back in, and went for a ride, my bike was sluggish and kept dying. parked on the side of the road, looked at my battery, and sure enough the RED cable was barely hanging on because the little bolt came out. tightened it up and never had a problem since!

most likely are the little errors that get us...

Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

^^^^^ This

If everything was fine before you installed the under fender light you need to go back and retrace your steps. You didn't mention year or model, but it could be possible you pinched some wiring as you ran the under fender wiring forward in the wiring channels.

On my Wide Glide for example, the wire guide assemble at the front of the fender is metal and it would be easy to cut or pinch some wiring as you get the wiring in the channels if you get heavy handed. I'd also check and see if the bike threw any DTC codes...

Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM
ajk511
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by streetjoebob
did you disconnect the battery when you did the work? if so, check your battery. one time when i finished some work, put my battery back in, and went for a ride, my bike was sluggish and kept dying. parked on the side of the road, looked at my battery, and sure enough the RED cable was barely hanging on because the little bolt came out. tightened it up and never had a problem since!

most likely are the little errors that get us...

2nd this. I've done it too. The little things are so easy to forget.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Mlopez828
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i charged the battery over night. Turned the ignition on and tried to start the bike. Loud pop and everything on the bike turned off. Completley dead. I then checked to see if the main fuse blew but learned that it was loose and came off. I had trouble plugging it in before and used a flat head to push it in to place this time. For some reason its really hard to put in, almost as if you have to push it all the way into the center of the bike. Turned the bike on and ran it for about five minutes. Im thinking it was the main fuse this whole time. I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow to see if it dies out again. You guys were probably right about the little things.