Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Boots for a 2010 Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 AM
jakedietz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fork Boots for a 2010 Fat Bob

Morning guys, I've been scouring the forum and cannot seem to find my answer so I'm wondering if anyone knows. I have a 2010 Fat Bob I want to put fork boots on. I know I need 49mm but I don't know if I need short or long boots. I've found information supporting both so does anyone know definitively?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Short, the long are used on the Wide Glide or bikes with the longer fork legs.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 AM
jakedietz
Advanced

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:21 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

No problem, we all tend to help each other out around here, sometimes with a little sarcasm.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 AM
jakedietz
Advanced

Ha! I've noticed that! I've been around the forums here since I bought my bike in 09. All in good fun, most of the time...😂

Side question, I'm trying to order any oddball tools I may need to drop the forks. I do own the service manual but it's at home and I'm at work, trying to order the tools asap. Anyone know off hand what I'll need to loosen the pinch bolts, remove the front tire, brake calipers, and fender? If not no big deal, I can check it out tonight!

Thanks again guys!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I wanna say the pinch bolts are T45 torques, but I am not 100% sure. You'll need an allen wrench set for the two bolts and clamp at the bottom of the right leg and to remove the fender along with a wrench (7/16" or 1/2" I believe) for the nuts on the fender. You'll also need a 10mm socket or wrench for the caliper removal. Put something between the front brake lever and the grip so you don't accidently push the lever while the wheel is off, closing the brake pads up, I use a small piece of 2x4 and a zip tie or bungee cord.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I've been hunting for a set of Fork Boots/Gaitors for my Street Bob. Got a set from Revzilla and they look like crap. A dull black almost grey color to them. Where are you looking at ordering from? Anyone with nice gloss black ones I've seen around shed some light on where to order from?
Also, to the OP, Some people just remove their wheel, caliper and fender and slide the boots from the bottom up. Some disagree with this method, but, whatever works for you.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 PM
jakedietz
Advanced

Thanks again blue, sounds like I should already have the tools I need then.

Fireguy, I ordered mine from eBay, nothing fancy, they look like they'll be good? As to yours, I have a few ideas, there's a product called back to black that I used on the black trim on my H2 that restored the sun faded black. Another idea is armor all wipes, both of those should give you a good black. But if you're looking for a high gloss black, it might not work?

And I heard of guys doing it the way you described, would be nice to not pull the forks. I think it'll all depend on how stretchy the rubber is.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:37 AM
SenorCollin
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you can do either, the short ones will just be less compressed. I believe I have the long ones on mine:

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Tried the Triumph ones; must have been too old...they split at the bottom in short order. Then ordered a pair on ebay; they had few pleats and looked like plastic.Got a pair from Jammer Cycle, I believe, on ebay and they went on yesterday...here's the look. Chrome clamps on top are until weatherstrip adhesive sets up, they were just a bit bigger than 49mm and were a good stretch over the seals on the bottom (I removed the chrome dust covers). Heat gun helps, I think. We'll see how they last

Attached Thumbnails Fork Boots for a 2010 Fat Bob-fork-boots.jpg  

Last edited by sharkey; 05-19-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Fork Boots for a 2010 Fat Bob