Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 FXDB, possible compensator issue, SE Comp upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 07 FXDB, possible compensator issue, SE Comp upgrade question

07 FXDB, Stock 96ci with 20k miles

Had issues during hot start-up for some time now. Frequent "coughing" through air filter, engine sort of "stalls" when turning over (long pause in engine rotation after initial starter engagement). Usually results in having to let off the starter button, short pause, then retry which is successful but results in a weak start-up. Occasionally after these weak start-ups I won't have a brake light or blinker function. The lights are illuminated as running lights but don't flash when you apply brake or turn signal button. This is fixed by shutting off bike and restarting..... Thought this was battery related and replaced mine 3 weeks ago.

Fast forward to this weekend.... Hot start resulted in same cough and pause of engine turn-over but this time a quick grinding sound then ignition. Bike started and I had functions lights. This is the first time I've had a metallic grind noise during start up. Starter issue?

After reading a ton of threads I'm leaning toward compensator replacement. I understand the comp was upgraded in 2014+ dynas and an oiling lip was added to the outer primary. The SE comp kit for 07 dynas has an oiling lip that has to be glued into the primary.... You can't buy this glue, only available to dealers... Has anyone installed this kit with success? What did you use for the adhesive?

SE comp kit comes with a new rotor... Anyone know why? Should I be replacing the stator as well? I just removed inner and outer primary about 6 months ago to go from foot boards to mids. Everything looked good, compensator has light wear marks, nothing concerning. Changing the rotor means the inner primary has to come off. Not the end of the world but somewhat inconvenient.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

You can buy the adhesive. I did for my 2007 Street Bob. Maxlok MX/T6. Search the internet if you decide to go SE. I have another 2007 dyna and I know going into it the compensating sprocket assembly could be the weak link. I may go Baker on this one. Anyway my old bike was acting up like yours. Replaced compensating sprocket and now at 57k miles. Just inspected the cam chain tensioners. All good. That's why I bought another 07.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

First to let you know I am no way affliated with American Iron Magazine, but in the latest edition is a real good article on the Baker Comp. and attitude adjuster and shows installation in photos. HD has had their chance to make a decent comp. for the bikes the manufacture and IMHO they have failed miserable. The primary chain adjuster only tightens and provides no tightness relief. Again costing the faithful money to replace bearings at the crank or IPB. It's a shame the engineers haven't pick up on this. Check out the AIM issue #350.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM
WMX124
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fskitch
You can buy the adhesive. I did for my 2007 Street Bob. Maxlok MX/T6. Search the internet if you decide to go SE. I have another 2007 dyna and I know going into it the compensating sprocket assembly could be the weak link. I may go Baker on this one. Anyway my old bike was acting up like yours. Replaced compensating sprocket and now at 57k miles. Just inspected the cam chain tensioners. All good. That's why I bought another 07.
Thank you for the feedback! At this point I'm trying to decide if I should do the Inner primary bearing while I'm in there.

Also, I think my starter may be on the way out which could have potentially damaged the ring gear as well. I'm guessing that's the grinding noise I heard... Any issues with your IPB or starter/ring gear?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 PM
WMX124
Road Captain

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
First to let you know I am no way affliated with American Iron Magazine, but in the latest edition is a real good article on the Baker Comp. and attitude adjuster and shows installation in photos. HD has had their chance to make a decent comp. for the bikes the manufacture and IMHO they have failed miserable. The primary chain adjuster only tightens and provides no tightness relief. Again costing the faithful money to replace bearings at the crank or IPB. It's a shame the engineers haven't pick up on this. Check out the AIM issue #350.
Will definitely look into the Baker unit. Are the SE comps known to go bad as well?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM
fskitch
Road Master

I actually have that issue of AIM on my coffee table! I'm a subscriber.

WMX124-I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the SE unit I put in my street bob several years back. It's just since then, I've read lots of good stuff on the baker comp and attitude adjuster and if my "new" 07 starts acting up Baker will be highly considered. The article in AIM says Harley recommends checking you primary chain every 5k miles with a manually adjusted tensioner, but the author says he doesn't see a problem checking tension every 15k miles. Removing the outer primary would be required to check tension and or inspect the comp, or you could buy the baker outer primary cover with inspection covers at $895.

When my bike started acting as yours apparently is, I thought I had starter problems as well, but upon inspection, the starter checked out and all I replaced was the compensator assembly with the SE unit. Bike has ran like a champ since. Hopefully I get another 50k miles-at least- out of the old SB. I picked up another very low mile 07 to have as my "retirement bike" to spread the miles between the two.

No IPB problems at all.

I sure would like to know if any bikes of our vintage got to high miles with the stock compensator. You always hear about the failed ones, not so much the trouble free ones.

edit: The more I think about gluing in that plastic gizmo to the outer primary, the more I realize how crappy Harley's fix is! I'm going baker if the new 2007 gives me grief and I recommend that you consider baker as well. SeniorsuperglideE8 has it right. The article in AIM is worth the read.

Last edited by fskitch; 05-19-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 AM
WMX124
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fskitch

WMX124-I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the SE unit I put in my street bob several years back. It's just since then, I've read lots of good stuff on the baker comp and attitude adjuster and if my "new" 07 starts acting up Baker will be highly considered. The article in AIM says Harley recommends checking you primary chain every 5k miles with a manually adjusted tensioner, but the author says he doesn't see a problem checking tension every 15k miles. Removing the outer primary would be required to check tension and or inspect the comp, or you could buy the baker outer primary cover with inspection covers at $895.

When my bike started acting as yours apparently is, I thought I had starter problems as well, but upon inspection, the starter checked out and all I replaced was the compensator assembly with the SE unit. Bike has ran like a champ since. Hopefully I get another 50k miles-at least- out of the old SB. I picked up another very low mile 07 to have as my "retirement bike" to spread the miles between the two.

No IPB problems at all.

Thank you again for your input! Very helpful to talk with someone who has dealt with this same issue.

Did you pull the inner primary to replace the rotor? I've read some folks grind the inner primary for clearance to install the new, larger rotor required for the SE comp... I don't like the idea of grinding the inner primary case. I just hate to replace all those seals again. I just did them a few months ago.

I looked into the baker unit. I can't justify the $600 for the baker comp and new rotor required. The SE unit can be had for under $350 from select online parts dealers and I think it's suitable for my mostly stock bike. I'll stick with the stock tensioner for now as well. The Hayden M6 has peaked my interest due to the fact it doesn't need to be adjusted although I don't think it's as substantial as the baker version. Either way, these components would be upgraded later on with engine upgrades.

Last time I removed the clutch I noticed the hub splines were damaged. I understand this is common on a lot of 07 big twins. Apparently something about a bad batch of hubs that weren't heat treated properly. I reinstalled it and haven't had issues since. I'm wondering if I should replace with another stock unit or just run it until I decide to do other engine performance upgrades.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

We have an 08 Softail and had to replace the compensator and starter because we had the same issues as mentioned .. YEP Harley dropped the ball on this one ,but that is how they keep you coming back ..

Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM
WMX124
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
We have an 08 Softail and had to replace the compensator and starter because we had the same issues as mentioned .. YEP Harley dropped the ball on this one ,but that is how they keep you coming back ..

Did you replace the whole starter or just rebuild with a new clutch? How does one determine if it's just the clutch vs the whole unit?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by WMX124

Did you pull the inner primary to replace the rotor?
Yes I did.

Quick Reply: 07 FXDB, possible compensator issue, SE Comp upgrade question