Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Motor Mounts/Stabilizer Links

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Top Motor Mounts/Stabilizer Links

Two questions (both of which I've searched for answers to, with no luck):

While my motor is apart, I would like to replace the top link. Here's my old OEM link and the Custom Cycle Engineering link I've been using... Are there other top link options I should consider? The CCE piece is a little funky, and I don't think I want to reuse it. I feel like it allows too much movement in it's quest to isolate the rider from vibration... My old OEM link is just... old. The rubber in the ends is all cracked and shrunken, etc. Of course I can get a new OEM unit, but thought I would check on other options first...

Next question: I would consider replacing the whole mounting bracket, if I found one that really looked nice... Why does every aftermarket one I find have the vertical tab that looks like it would bolt straight to the frame? Is this how Softails work? I've seen several that are listed for my bike, like this one from Vulcan, that have this vertical tab... Maybe it can be unbolted, but none of the pictures show the other side (I've emailed Vulcan with the same question, but haven't yet heard). Vulcan offers coil brackets for these mounts, but not horn brackets... So I would have to fabricate something if I wanted to keep everything in the same place...

Or maybe I'll just powdercoat my original piece. Just looking for options...

Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Hi F86.
One option is to replace the OEM top adjustable link with a true heim link, if you look at the factory link it is rubber lined with spacers pressed in. I replaced mine with with a heim end link (I ordered my link from Alan Sputhe, Its the same link used on the Positrac chassis kit), primarily because I felt it would add a bit of stiffness and hold the chassis alingment better than the rubber lined link. I have the full Positrac kit on my Dyna along with the upper link, it does vibrate a bit more than stock, but the vibration is at the same engine speed as stock, it's not objectionable at all, still dead smooth at highway speeds.
The CCE link shown in your photos, personally I would not reuse it, as you have noted, it's a flexi-flyer...
The solid mount engine bracket with the tab cannot be used as it's a Softail part, I am not aware of a aftermarket mount for the Dyna, but I never searched for one.

Name:  IMAG0446_BURST001.jpg
Views: 5531
Size:  223.7 KB

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 05-24-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: speeling are hrd
The following 2 users liked this post by Nemosengineer:
F86 (05-25-2017), TinCupChalice (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I totally agree with Mike. Get rid of those rubber bushings. I don't have a problem with the performance of the stock link other than the lack of a turnbuckle making alignment both less accurate and more difficult.

Wait...The stock link isn't Heim jointed? I'm like 95% sure mine is.... I need to look tonight.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
rydercheers
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just thinking out loud here, but would one of the after market shift links from Alloy Art or Bung King also make a fairly decent top mount stabilizer or would it not be long enough?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Landmark Mfg makes a polished SS top motor mount, but since it isn't "seen" why have a fancy one?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

On a mostly stock or stock configuration Dyna, yeah, the top mount bracket is pretty well hidden. With a horn relocate, tank lift, or other similar mods, it does become surprisingly visible.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hi F86.
One option is to replace the OEM top adjustable link with a true heim link, if you look at the factory link it is rubber lined with spacers pressed in. I replaced mine with with a heim end link (I ordered my link from Alan Sputhe, Its the same link used on the Positrac chassis kit), primarily because I felt it would add a bit of stiffness and hold the chassis alingment better than the rubber lined link. I have the full Positrac kit on my Dyna along with the upper link, it does vibrate a bit more than stock, but the vibration is at the same engine speed as stock, it's not objectionable at all, still dead smooth at highway speeds.
The CCE link shown in your photos, personally I would not reuse it, as you have noted, it's a flexi-flyer...
The solid mount engine bracket with the tab cannot be used as it's a Softail part, I am not aware of a aftermarket mount for the Dyna, but I never searched for one.

: Mike
Thanks, Mike! Yeah, I definitely won't reuse the CCE contraption... It was an experiment last year when I was chasing some vibration... I've concluded that it's an idiotic design... While performing vertical alignment, you could see the rubber bushings deforming before the engine moved at all... It's a highly flawed design.

I was leaning towards a new OEM unit, but I really like what you've done with the Sputhe link. I don't really care if a few more vibes reach me at certain parts of the rev range, as long as I know they aren't generated by something problematic. Since I'm in email contact with Sputhe now about a rear stabilizer, I'll inquire about a link as well. Did you have to modify it at all, or did the length allow for an appropriate range of adjustment?

Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Mine IS Rubber bushed. The rubber has separated from the outer half of the joint so it swivels like a stiff Heim joint. I never really look at it that close.

Glad this came up. Thanks! I'm off to get the real deal! (And save more weight!)

Oh, on my 99, it's 3/8 studs/bolts and the center-to-center on mine is 4.635". I didn't break loose the lock nut to check adjustment range, but I'd think 4.625 sounds like nominal (guess) so 1/4" on either side should be sufficient for alignment purposes.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (06-01-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Mine IS Rubber bushed. The rubber has separated from the outer half of the joint so it swivels like a stiff Heim joint. I never really look at it that close.

Glad this came up. Thanks! I'm off to get the real deal! (And save more weight!)

Oh, on my 99, it's 3/8 studs/bolts and the center-to-center on mine is 4.635". I didn't break loose the lock nut to check adjustment range, but I'd think 4.625 sounds like nominal (guess) so 1/4" on either side should be sufficient for alignment purposes.
Cool, and thanks for the measurements! I'll check mine tonight to see if they're the same... Yeah, my rubber inserts are in the same condition as yours... I would prefer to stay away from having any sort of "bushing" in there, as Mike said...

...and just how do you have a nephew who's a monkey? Your family must have some stories...

Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Landmark Mfg makes a polished SS top motor mount, but since it isn't "seen" why have a fancy one?
They seem to list them for Touring bikes and Evos, but not Dynas... I'm not really sure what could be so different since the length is adjustable...

I think I'll just assemble one myself!

Quick Reply: Top Motor Mounts/Stabilizer Links