Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo batt....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default MoCo batt....

As far as mc batteries go, I have been totally loyal to the HD brand, having rec'd 4-5 years of good cranking performance and durability out of each batt beginning with my FXR and now my FB. That brand loyalty took a major hit, though, when my current batt which was only 3 years "old" went south on me at a very inopportune moment two weeks ago. Not having the time to wait for shipping from an alternate source, I was relegated to going to the dealer and forking out $123 + tx for another HB batt.

I really only have myself to blame, for the bike had been cranking a bit slowly the past month or so, but I didn't want to believe that the "tried and trusted" HD batt was past its service life so soon. Suffice it to say, I won't be buying a MoCo batt anymore, instead switching over to a better product as reviewed by you Forum members. For those of you who are still running HD batts, I wish you better times and miles out of yours, but this post may be useful for future reference when it comes time to buy your next batt.

Thanks for reading, ride safe!
~

Old 06-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 11 yrs out of my HD battery(lucky) ,but when NAPA beat there price by $30 I couldn't make myself buy HD.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I've had good luck with HD batteries for the most part. My girls sporty battery went bad after 8 months, but she hardly ever put it on the charger when it sat for long periods of time. Mine almost never sits. If it stays in the same place for more than a day it gets put on the charger. I believe keeping the battery fully charged consistently contributes to a long life.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Any battery can be a lemon and die after a relative short period of time. I get a new battery in my truck every 4-5 years regardless - because it sucks to be out somewhere in Timbucktoo and have it die. Despite that - a 1 year old battery went dead on me a couple years ago. The warranty replaced it with a new one but it didn't prevent me from having to call a friend to come get me.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:08 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I had one HD battery go for about 3.5 years before needing changed and the replacement lasted about 8 months. That was last July. I got a warranty exchange and it is cranking along just fine...the only difference is that I was using a tender on the battery that lasted only 8 months and I did not use a tender on either of the other two. I ride almost daily and I can only surmise that either the battery was a lemon or using a tender damaged it...

I am not going to worry about the difference in cost between the battery that was designed and manufactured for my ride and one that wasn't. If I can get three years out of a battery that gets used regularly, then I am good.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

7rys out of my stock battery... not complaining at all. Had to replace the entire system 2 yrs ago... stator, regulator and battery... not sure which of those took out the other

Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 AM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

This is my 8th season on the OEM battery and it is starting to sound weak. I have been charging it with a Battery Tender monthly since it was new. I may end up replacing it with this:

http://www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-Y...19-270l-hd.htm

Coupons for the site above are pretty easy to find.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
This is my 8th season on the OEM battery and it is starting to sound weak. I have been charging it with a Battery Tender monthly since it was new. I may end up replacing it with this:

http://www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-Y...19-270l-hd.htm

Coupons for the site above are pretty easy to find.

That Yuasa YTX20L is 270 CCA and 18Ah; go with the Yuasa GYZ20HL. The GYZ20HL is 320 CCA and 20 Ah, it's the highest rated AGM battery that will fit in the Dyna's box.

You will be surprised how much faster it will spin up your Wide Glide. I've always had great luck with Yuasa batteries in my sport bikes, and this GYZ20HL is the perfect choice in my Wide Glide

$86.95 at Phat: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/.../yuasa-gyz.htm

Just be careful with the battery, it will try and steal your beverages

Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
That Yuasa YTX20L is 270 CCA and 18Ah; go with the Yuasa GYZ20HL. The GYZ20HL is 320 CCA and 20 Ah, it's the highest rated AGM battery that will fit in the Dyna's box.

You will be surprised how much faster it will spin up your Wide Glide. I've always had great luck with Yuasa batteries in my sport bikes, and this GYZ20HL is the perfect choice in my Wide Glide

$86.95 at Phat: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/.../yuasa-gyz.htm

Definitely appears to be the Best Bang for your Buck ..