Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Brake Single Caliper on Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 01:13 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Ness Big Brake Single Caliper on Dyna

Super Glide Custom. I thought I was going to go to dual rotors until I installed this upgrade along with a set of EBC HH brake pads. Arlen Ness Big Brake 15 inch rotor with the stock caliper and master cylinder.

Sumbich hauls down quick now. I also like the clean look of a single disc as well as the minimized un-sprung weight it offers.

Name:  IMG_5373.jpg
Views: 3892
Size:  4.47 MB

Name:  IMG_5374.jpg
Views: 4245
Size:  4.73 MB

Name:  IMG_5376.jpg
Views: 6544
Size:  3.65 MB

Last edited by leafman60; 07-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:16 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Very nice! I also put one of these on along with some lyndall pads front and rear. Braking is just wonderful.

Enjoy and ride safe!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Nicely done, you will love that Arlen Ness Big Brake! Like robbyville I'm using Lyndall organic pads, the added braking control with the Big Brake is well worth the money spent. My maximum/threshold braking distances shorted up even further with the addition of the Big Brake rotor.

With that added braking have you done any upgrading to your front forks? If not, you should consider it; the braking control becomes even more enhanced with a front end that's working properly and not bouncing up and down or suffering from excessive fork dive under heavy braking.

Good performing tires, upgraded front suspension, quality rotors, brake pads and a bit of time practicing your heavy braking; you can haul these big cruisers down with a quickness

Those Big Brake rotors sure are pretty...

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

welcome to the family !

it should have more stopping power with Sintered pads liek EBC HH or CL Brakes A3+ (wich I use) than with organic

Old 07-06-2017, 02:33 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
welcome to the family !

it should have more stopping power with Sintered pads liek EBC HH or CL Brakes A3+ (wich I use) than with organic

Stopping power is a relative term; even the stock rotor, caliper, and pads can completely lock up the front so the 'stopping power' is there, this is all about added braking control. The sintered brake pads will have a higher initial bite, the organics have a lower initial bite and ramp up progressively; organics will give you better feedback and 'feel' at the brake lever under heavy braking. No ABS on my Wide Glide and I can feel where that braking threshold point is; the kinetic friction of a rolling tire will stop you much faster than the static friction of a sliding tire

This is all in what you're accustomed to, some prefer that heavier initial bite, some prefer the added control. Either way, upgrading your braking is always money very well spent

Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

all thanks to the angry french guy!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14661483

it's a lie!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:43 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The sintered brake pads will have a higher initial bite, the organics have a lower initial bite and ramp up progressively; organics will give you better feedback and 'feel' at the brake lever under heavy braking.
That's exactly what I like about carbon kevlar friction materials. I don't understand why EBC went sintered for their H/HH pads. I run EBC Greens on my 4-wheel stuff, but I had to go to Lyndall for a similar compound on the bike.

Fun fact, Lyndall was created by ex Porterfield guys.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

With that added braking have you done any upgrading to your front forks? If not, you should consider it; the braking control becomes even more enhanced with a front end that's working properly and not bouncing up and down or suffering from excessive fork dive under heavy braking.

Good performing tires, upgraded front suspension, quality rotors, brake pads and a bit of time practicing your heavy braking; you can haul these big cruisers down with a quickness

Those Big Brake rotors sure are pretty...
I am all about suspension. I installed Race Tech emulators in the forks and added my own blend of fork oil (1 inch below the Race Tech spec). The forks work well but I may go ahead and bite on the Ohlins cartridges once they are out on the market for a while.

You'll notice the Ohlins shocks on the rear. I jacked the bike up 2-3 inches. Also, I have the Sputhe stabilizers on it.

Check out those Continental Trail Attack 2 adventure tires. Amazing grip on pavement. They have a nice rounded profile and allow extreme lean angles at speed. I have another thread on those.

It'll keep up with the BMW's and Guzzi's that I have now.

I also breathed on the motor within reason. I upgraded it to 103 inches. The heads are milled down and I have a set of SE204 cams (perfect) along with a V&H FP3 tuner (wonderful device) to match the V&H exhaust. K&N with open back cover. Power output was increased dramatically. Dramatically. It pulls hard and steady all the way to 6k. On the curves, 3rd gear carries me from 35 to 100 in a huuuurrryyyy.

The suspension upgrades allow effective use of that power .

Last edited by leafman60; 07-06-2017 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (07-06-2017)
Old 04-27-2019, 03:29 AM
gtsouth
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just installed the Ness big brake on my 2010 WG. I unfortunately haven't been able to try it out yet. I ordered EBC semi-sintered pads and the damn things do not seat into the caliper all the way. So I cannot get the pad pin bolt in. The tabs that clip into the springs are too shallow... On both pads. Has anybody ever heard of this?

Old 04-27-2019, 06:46 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I have EBC in mine, all fine, do you have them the right way

Quick Reply: Ness Big Brake Single Caliper on Dyna