Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Thunder, great pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Red Thunder, great pipe.

I heard a thunderheader for the first time in person a few years ago (not as popular on the east coast) and loved the sound. Too loud for me, but an amazing sound nonetheless. I've also read they they are one of the best performers among the 2:1's. FF a few years, and after a few quieter pipes, cycle shack slip ons, supertrapps, and lastly FuelMoto E-Series, I decided I wanted more sound. My last pipe was the FuelMoto E-Series with the fiberglass removed, and while it is a great performer, and a really good sounding pipe, it still wasn't what I was looking for.

So I read about this Thunderheader "knock off" called "Red Thunder" - I think Cvaria posted it? So I looked into them. Story goes a certain 1% international club contracted an Italian pipe mfgr to use the Thunderheader design and, improved on it. Solid S/S construction, nice enough ceramic coating (mines black) and a *bit* less volume. As we know the TH is painfully loud.

So I was about to buy one new from a US dealer "UncleanCrew", and I stumbled on one of our own selling one on the classifieds. So I grabbed it. A day later it was on my bike. Nice build quality, solid bracket system. Well done.

Still LOUD, but not irritatingly so. Just what I wanted. And my default PV tune worked nicely. Fuelmoto sent me a tune for a "close" match, but I think my original tune works as well.

I've only had the opportunity to run one autotune, and it feels great. Seems like the same low end pull, but ****, once I hit 3000 rpms, it opens up like a madman.

Hopefully I can get a little more with a few more tunes, and eventually I'll get on a Dyno for some real numbers.

But as is now, I'm digging this pipe.

Photos:

It's used, so it's not 100% perfect, and I'm still debating getting the heat shields for $275. The local (US) dealer I was talking to before I found the used deal was "Unclean Crew" - http://uncleancrew.bigcartel.com - Steve is a good guy who I'll be ordering the heat shields from.

So far, highly recommended.

I could live without the lettering on the pipe, but oh well.

I ended up putting the traditional thunderheader rear cone on it, but the billet is also an option. I'll get an updated photo soon.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

That's a really sharp looking pipe!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:56 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Bike is really looking great! how about a sound clip next time you have a chance?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:59 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

oh and of course so that I can beat Cvaria to it...

Hi Bear!

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

that billet is clean. i'm considering putting one on my sportster, hard to step away from the grenades but, i like the 2-1.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Nice looking pipe!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:00 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice mchad, I would really love a good sound clip on it

Old 09-02-2017, 10:02 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I knew you would love it, one of my favourite pipes for sound and performance IMO.

How you liking the new ohlins? I need a bit of convincing before dropping that much $$$.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 PM
whitetrashbilly103
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
I knew you would love it, one of my favourite pipes for sound and performance IMO.

How you liking the new ohlins? I need a bit of convincing before dropping that much $$$.
Yep, you were right. Love the pipe.

Re: The Ohlins. They are such an improvement over the already great S36E's I had. Maybe it's the adjustability, who knows. But it is what is is. F'n fantastic. That and the Ohlins fork cartridges and my Dyna handles as good as I could possibly want it to.

GET THEM

Quick Reply: Red Thunder, great pipe.