Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable Bar Size??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

5'10 here....running 14s. Not as comfortable as 10s but they sure look cool. If comfort is #1 priority...you need your arms below parallel. 10s or 12s imo. The lower the more comfortable. Puts less strain on your shoulders.

A good test to this is put your arms out straight. See how long u can hold it in the air. You'll be surprised how fast you put them down. Ergonomically anything that requires shoulder and above stretch is tougher on your shoulders.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Deduce
Hey, Nickd2689...
What kind of crashbars are you using? Model numbers if you have them...
Also, I'm thinking about getting the same bars. I'm guessing you had to use a spacer
where the bars are 1" in the center where they are mounted. Do you know what the spacer is called and where to get them? Thanks, Bob!!!
no crashbar on the lrs. If you're talkin about the sb, it's just the one from HD for about 200 bucks. No spaced needed for the bars, they mount directly to the risers. The center of the bars and the grips are only 1 inch where the rest of the bars are 1.5. If you have throttle by wire, make sure you get the ones for it, the price is the same.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 PM
kpie
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Todds Cycle 10" on my '15 Street Bob. I'm about 5'10". Perfect! Comfortable.

Last edited by kpie; 10-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 AM
SenorCollin
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

What makes you think that you need bars that tall to be comfortable? Have you ridden a bike with higher apes and found it comfortable, or is it more the look that you like? I don't mean to come off as condescending or anything, I just don't really understand why so many people feel the need for taller bars.

I'm 6'4" and my 12" mx style T-bars actually feel a little on the tall side to me. The higher you go, you're gonna sacrifice handling as well- although that might not really be a concern of yours. I understand that not everyone is chasing superior handling for their Harley, I get it. But maybe consider going with 12's, I highly doubt you will feel cramped. You can add taller risers if you want to go bigger later, just a thought.

I can't help you much with riser recommendations, but I used Magnum Shielding black pearl finish for my cables, and the fit and finish is very good. It is a premium product though, so you can expect them to be priced accordingly. I found that amazon had cheaper pricing than I was finding other places. A recommendation I got from a mechanic was to install the bars, and then use string to measure what length your cables should be prior to ordering. I just ordered +2" of everything and some of the cables are a little longer than they need to be. In my case it's only about an inch, but some people are way over and it looks like ***. It takes an extra couple of days, but could be worthwhile. A cheaper alternative if you go with 12" ones would be stock street bob cables since they come with mini apes.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM
bgup619
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im 5 8 and have 12 inch chrome werks apes on my fxdb.. stock wires worked and super comfortable.. i can ride all day no problem..

Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SenorCollin
What makes you think that you need bars that tall to be comfortable? Have you ridden a bike with higher apes and found it comfortable, or is it more the look that you like? I don't mean to come off as condescending or anything, I just don't really understand why so many people feel the need for taller bars.
Its just different strokes. For me personally, I love my 16 inch apes on my lrs. I prefer the look of higher bars as to me it looks cool. For me it's part of that chopper or bobber style I go for. However, looks aren't going to beat functionality. I feel that higher bars force me to keep my back straight and sit up maintaining better posture. I also like to sit back further and with the stock lrs bars, my back was killing me because they were forcing me to lean too far forward.

I actually built 2 inch riser spacers because I was going on a trip and I knew I wouldn't be comfortable. They helped, but I have absolutely no comfort issues with my 16s

Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 PM
fporfido3
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SenorCollin

I'm 6'4" and my 12" mx style T-bars actually feel a little on the tall side to me. The higher you go, you're gonna sacrifice handling as well- although that might not really be a concern of yours. I understand that not everyone is chasing superior handling for their Harley, I get it. But maybe consider going with 12's, I highly doubt you will feel cramped. You can add taller risers if you want to go bigger later, just a thought.

I can't help you much with riser recommendations, but I used Magnum Shielding black pearl finish for my cables, and the fit and finish is very good. It is a premium product though, so you can expect them to be priced accordingly. I found that amazon had cheaper pricing than I was finding other places. A recommendation I got from a mechanic was to install the bars, and then use string to measure what length your cables should be prior to ordering. I just ordered +2" of everything and some of the cables are a little longer than they need to be. In my case it's only about an inch, but some people are way over and it looks like ***. It takes an extra couple of days, but could be worthwhile. A cheaper alternative if you go with 12" ones would be stock street bob cables since they come with mini apes.
I don't want to get taller bars to be more comfortable, I want them because I like the looks. Everyone saying get 12" or under seems to have missed where I said 14" or 16" and "which would be MORE comfortable". I'm not looking for the most comfortable bars I could possibly get for my bike. I'm looking for opinions on specifically those 2 bar sizes alone. And I actually find that the stock bars cause me to have to lean forward when riding, which makes my back hurt on long rides. So logic tells me that a taller bar would allow me to sit up straighter, relieving the strain on my back.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 PM
fporfido3
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Its just different strokes. For me personally, I love my 16 inch apes on my lrs. I prefer the look of higher bars as to me it looks cool. For me it's part of that chopper or bobber style I go for. However, looks aren't going to beat functionality. I feel that higher bars force me to keep my back straight and sit up maintaining better posture. I also like to sit back further and with the stock lrs bars, my back was killing me because they were forcing me to lean too far forward.

I actually built 2 inch riser spacers because I was going on a trip and I knew I wouldn't be comfortable. They helped, but I have absolutely no comfort issues with my 16s
I feel the same way with my stock bars. This is why I was wondering if i would be better off with 14" or 16". 16" seems big, but I don't know if 14" would be tall enough to straighten my back out.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fporfido3
I feel the same way with my stock bars. This is why I was wondering if i would be better off with 14" or 16". 16" seems big, but I don't know if 14" would be tall enough to straighten my back out.
i think you would be good with 14s but I would still suggest 16s. I agree with you in regards to higher bars allowing you to keep your back straighter as that is the reason I find mine to be far more comfortable. Since I already forgot which Dyna you have, I would suggest getting 2 inch risers if you don't already have them (my lrs came with 5.5 risers so I bought drag specialties 1.5 inch risers) if you're gonna go with apes.

Again, if you go with 16s, and they feel a little higher than you want, you can always loosen the riser bolts and pull them back a little to make the grips a little lower. I started off with mine pulled back a few inches and ended up pushing them forward for a higher feel and I think they're perfect.

When I first bought my bars I was in the same boat and didn't know if I should go with 14 or 16. I didn't want to go with 14s and have them be too short cause I don't like the look of higher risers with ape hangers.

The following users liked this post:
fporfido3 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Something else to keep in mind, if you have throttle by cable, get the bars for throttle by wire. They're the same price (at least for mine) so if you ever trade in for a bike with tbw, you can just swap them over. I originally bought these bars for my 15 Fxdb, then a few months later I stripped all my mods off and traded it in for a lrs. I didn't know it at the time but I got bars for tbw so luckily they were compatible with the lrs.

I know many people say they'll never trade their bike in. I swore I was gonna have my street Bob til I died but once the lrs and 117 kit came out I just had to have it.

The following users liked this post:
fporfido3 (10-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Comfortable Bar Size??