Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Diego bar install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Default San Diego bar install

So it looks like my bars and poly bushings will be here on Monday. I've watched some youtube videos and feel like I have a handle on most of the swap. One of the things I'm wondering about is if I can remove throttle assembly with out undoing or loosening the cables? Same goes with clutch lever assembly. Also, my grips are relatively new HD Defiance and I'm hoping I can get clutch side off and re-use. Any thoughts?

Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

well the grip is relatively easy, I was able to get a fairly small flat head between the bar and the grip and carefully break the grip of the glue so that it could be re-used. You will need new glue though when putting it back on.

Others will chime in on your other questions, but if I remember correctly I was able to loosen both the throttle and clutch cables enough to get them out of the switch housings and pull the ends through the bars with no problem.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

I’m sure you can but why make it harder? Get that stuff out of the way once you disconnect the throttle cables from the grip (don’t lose the brass fittings!) just give a nice tug from where they enter the plastic housing they come right off. As for your clutch if your not replacing it just hang it somewhere off your bike with a ziptie

Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it looks like you didnt install the hand grips did you,, other wise you answered your own question, the left comes out complete when you open up the switch block, all oem style does this

Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
well the grip is relatively easy, I was able to get a fairly small flat head between the bar and the grip and carefully break the grip of the glue so that it could be re-used. You will need new glue though when putting it back on.

Others will chime in on your other questions, but if I remember correctly I was able to loosen both the throttle and clutch cables enough to get them out of the switch housings and pull the ends through the bars with no problem.
the oem defiance arent glued on

Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer

I tore it down last night. I really didn’t disconnect anything. Throttle side slid off as did the clutch side. The clutch side grip came off easily.

What do I need to use for an adhesive? My new bars should get delivered by the brown Santa today. Also, which thread lock... red or blue for reassembly?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by loopie
the oem defiance arent glued on
Strange, mine was. 2014 SB

For thread locker use blue for small threads that you will want to easily have access to, red for items that you would very rarely open up again and are larger bolts. I’ve only been instructed to use red on very few parts.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer

All done! Bike feels awesome with those bars. Lucky Dave’s are VERY high quality and worth it every penny. All said and done it took me a about 2 1/2 hours total. Dealer wanted 4 hours and wanted to change cables blah blah blah.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

^Took me about the same amount of time and most of it was spent fiddling with the wiring and the throttle cables...LD makes a great product, very happy I went back to the San Diego bars.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer

I didn’t even loosen or disconnect throttle cables... just slid off the assembly. Easy peezy. The bars internally wired nicely. Wires slid through quick. Very happy. Now just have to decide on a bag to hang on the bars.

Quick Reply: San Diego bar install