Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lrs lifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Lrs lifters

has anyone found a solution for the insane lifter noise on the lrs? I replaced mine with the ones in the 117 kit from screamin eagle and within a few thousand miles they go back to being noisy at all times.

Im a mechanic so I understand hydraulic lifters bleed down and this is just the way it is, but they're so noisy that I'm starting to actually worry about them. I've never heard any twin can get this bad.

If if anyone has run aftermarket lifters and had good results long term, feel free to make suggestions.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I have no direct knowledge of the late-generation Twin Cams, but is it possible that it's a function of the OEM non-adjustable pushrods? I've always had a hard time believing that with all of the minuscule variances possible between cams, cam bearings, cam support plate, lifters, head gaskets, heads, rocker arms and valves, a fixed-length pushrod can always be exactly right. From your description, it kinda sounds like a touch more preload on the pushrods is needed. I wonder whether you could eliminate the issue with a set of adjustable pushrods, rather than different lifters?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Get S&S adjustable pushrods. It'll take care of it.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by F86
I have no direct knowledge of the late-generation Twin Cams, but is it possible that it's a function of the OEM non-adjustable pushrods? I've always had a hard time believing that with all of the minuscule variances possible between cams, cam bearings, cam support plate, lifters, head gaskets, heads, rocker arms and valves, a fixed-length pushrod can always be exactly right. From your description, it kinda sounds like a touch more preload on the pushrods is needed. I wonder whether you could eliminate the issue with a set of adjustable pushrods, rather than different lifters?
I agree 100% but they started off quiet then slowly progressed as they wore, now they're so loud and "clacky" that I'm not comfortable riding it. I don't want to go with adjustable pushrods if I don't have to. My in law had em and had one come loose when he was In sturgis...big pain in the ***.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:57 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Are you sure the noise is from the lifters & not the top end?

Thousands and thousands of happy customers worldwide have found a solution

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
cvaria (01-05-2018), Durham man (01-07-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Honestly, no. I can be sure the lifters ARE noisy, but haven't checked to see if the problem has traveled up stream yet. I'll get a stethoscope on it next chance I get but I still need to get a line on which lifters/pushrods people have had better results with since I know those have to be replaced.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,308 Likes on 2,356 Posts

American Iron Magazine recently did an article on AXTELL oil pressure relief valves for the TC 88's. They noticed a remarkable difference in maintaining oil pressure. Might want to google AXTELL to look at these things. The cam plate has to come out for this flawed design from HD. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:44 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

I've put your rockouts in and it's still the lifters.

What you product did do however is stop the 2-3k rpm clatter of the rocker arms.

My issue, and what others have had is actual lifter failure from a combo of crap lifters, "perfect fit" pushrods and excessive valve spring pressure.

I've killed 2 sets of lifters in 7,000km's. (that's sub 5k miles)

Not acceptable in anyones language.

As it's still in warranty I'll keep sending it back to the dealer to fix but the day it comes out of that warranty in go the S&S premiums and adjustable rods.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (01-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rbdub474
Get S&S Adjustable Pushrods. It'll take care of it.

Totally Agreed, what I did when updated the Tensioners and added the Cams ..

Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
I've put your rockouts in and it's still the lifters.

What you product did do however is stop the 2-3k rpm clatter of the rocker arms.

My issue, and what others have had is actual lifter failure from a combo of crap lifters, "perfect fit" pushrods and excessive valve spring pressure.

I've killed 2 sets of lifters in 7,000km's. (that's sub 5k miles)

Not acceptable in anyones language.

As it's still in warranty I'll keep sending it back to the dealer to fix but the day it comes out of that warranty in go the S&S premiums and adjustable rods.
Once out of warranty, will you also change the valve springs to a lighter beehive type?

Quick Reply: Lrs lifters