Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Sturat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I’ve always cleaned my mount after oil changes and it didn’t stop it from needing to be replaced. Just one of those things that come with the territory.
Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
This is the route I took; the Predator up front; money very well spent. And, to keep any chance of oil getting on the bike/mount during oil filter removals, I relocated the oil filter to the left downtube. With the oil filter relocated, you never spill one drop of oil
Seems like a solid investment, 250 for the predator vs 100 for the OEM garbage. Filter relocation I'll check into that also. Appreciate everyone's feedback!

Old 02-25-2018, 03:34 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Sturat
Seems like a solid investment, 250 for the predator vs 100 for the OEM garbage. Filter relocation I'll check into that also. Appreciate everyone's feedback!
You won't be disappointed in the Predator, and the oil filter relocation makes life easier and looks pretty trick, too. Order the Predator from the U.K. website, it will be cheaper with the exchange rate and you'll have it in just a few days via FedEx international priority. I used a 3Guyz relocation: http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycl...tegory=1575036

Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You won't be disappointed in the Predator, and the oil filter relocation makes life easier and looks pretty trick, too. Order the Predator from the U.K. website, it will be cheaper with the exchange rate and you'll have it in just a few days via FedEx international priority. I used a 3Guyz relocation: http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycl...tegory=1575036

TinCup Chalice.That looks very high quality & very nice,do you officially have the cleanest bike in the known universe?.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Sturat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent, I was going to ask about the price as it came up foreign currency. I'll pull the trigger, appreciate the firsthand knowledge.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
TinCup Chalice.That looks very high quality & very nice,do you officially have the cleanest bike in the known universe?.

Originally Posted by Sturat
Excellent, I was going to ask about the price as it came up foreign currency. I'll pull the trigger, appreciate the firsthand knowledge.

When I ordered my Predator HDD100M mount, with the exchange rate it was $233.33 shipped; PayPal handled the currency conversion. There is an install video out there, but it actually makes it look harder to install than it really is. First ride, and you'll be a believer HD should be ashamed of themselves with that OEM front isolator, it took the aftermarket to engineer a proper mount for the Dyna...

http://www.predatorvcs.com/harley_da...t_engine_mount

Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I've got 21K on my FXDI35, is there a way to determine that the mount is bad?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

My 99 front mount went about 60k before the vibration drastically increased. Most seem to go long before that. Maybe I was just more vibration tolerant? Dunno...but one day I noticed my mirrors had become unusable and feet were vibrating off the pegs, etc. Visual inspection after removal didn't show any damage. I was doing a Predator regardless so I never checked the clearances before I removed it.

I've heard a couple people mention theirs got so bad that they were hearing metal to metal knocking. Mine never did that.

Last edited by cggorman; 02-26-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:05 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tileman2692
I've got 21K on my FXDI35, is there a way to determine that the mount is bad?
Are you experiencing added vibrations at certain RPM ranges or do you notice decel shuddering? You can visually inspect the isolator to be certain the rubber isn't distorting and contacting the engine bracket, but many have experienced the mount degrading and yet the isolator looks fine.

I believe vehicle/engine alignment and oil contamination play a larger role in degrading the isolator, not mileage. Many, myself included, have lost the front mount very early on; out of the box brand new my vehicle/engine alignment was out and killed the isolator. The Dyna is a unique animal and the mounts and alignment have a critical role to play; if you're in good alignment and don't contaminate the rubber during oil changes you might get long life out of that front OEM mount, but it's still a poorly conceived idea.

It took the aftermarket to properly engineer engine mounts for the Dyna; even if you are having no real problems with the OEM mount you will immediately notice the difference with an aftermarket replacement...

The following users liked this post:
Tileman2692 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Are you experiencing added vibrations at certain RPM ranges or do you notice decel shuddering?
Yes, decal for sure, and pretty good amount

Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tileman2692
Yes, decal for sure, and pretty good amount
Ayup Acceleration and braking forces try to push and pull the engine in the frame through the mounts and engine torque tries to pitch it up and down at the front. It sounds like your front isolator is contacting the engine bracket and transferring vibrations to the frame.

'It's dead, Jim'...

Quick Reply: Motor mounts