Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moons FlyEye LED Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Protocol
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Moons FlyEye LED Headlight

Wondering if anybody has any info on the FlyEye LED headlight by Moons? I bought the cheapo $40 Wisamic from Amazon and it works good but I somehow scratched up the lens pretty bad already. Has anybody tried this one?

https://www.moonsmc.com/products/5-7...ght-for-harley

Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I wouldn't even test that out. Nope.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
I wouldn't even test that out. Nope.
Based on the looks or also the spec sheet?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Based on the looks or also the spec sheet?
Price and origin. Spidey sense tells me tommy grabbed that from china for ~$39. Plenty similar on aliexpress. I wouldn't expect more from that than any other knockoff in the $25-50 range. I have love for Tommy's hustle but, not for all he sells.

the only advantage i see there is the footprint. Willl work in tight buckets. But after installing a 20 funlove bucket on my sportster to replace hd's expensive led bucket, that argument is moot. If i can find Tommy's source i would test it but, at his retail, I'd have no way to get out of the light. Would have to explain it to every potential buyer... I'd be stuck with it.

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM
j0ney3
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Price and origin. Spidey sense tells me tommy grabbed that from china for ~$39. Plenty similar on aliexpress. I wouldn't expect more from that than any other knockoff in the $25-50 range. I have love for Tommy's hustle but, not for all he sells.

the only advantage i see there is the footprint. Willl work in tight buckets. But after installing a 20 funlove bucket on my sportster to replace hd's expensive led bucket, that argument is moot. If i can find Tommy's source i would test it but, at his retail, I'd have no way to get out of the light. Would have to explain it to every potential buyer... I'd be stuck with it.
Do it, do it, do it! https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...603f6dpS16&s=p

Old 03-28-2018, 12:31 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by j0ney3
challenge accepted

I have to reach out to the seller. Or find thier 1-off purchase ad on aliexpress.

EDIT: found and ordered
http://http://s.aliexpress.com/nQ7JVVBF?

i canblivewuth wasting 40 bucks.

Last edited by cvaria; 03-28-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Protocol (04-08-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:02 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

eagle has crash landed.

took 18 days to arrive.. not bad but, i paid for rush. (Tom Petty)

packing minimal like the light itself. It's super thin. Will fit in any 5.75" bucket i think, there's virtually no backing like most bulbs and sealed beams. That'd be cool for older bikes with stock buckets... even though you could just get a complete funlove bucket on amazon for 20 buck and retrofit... just saying

It's a solid build quality and heft but, there is no clocking/positioning key on the back casting so if the ring on your bucket is loose/ill-fitting, the light can spin freely. Thats no good. wiring is janky and the blades on the terminal dance like they are on Soul Train.

it is bright on low. Little brighter on high with a longer beam. And the position marker is huge and bright (white line in the middle). In the garage, it's not as bright as the knock off sunpie/wiesamic/etc... i never left the garage because im pretty sure this light caused a problem with my bike's alarm siren (sportster). I did the intial test testing of the light and turned the bike off to go change clothes to ride... but there was no chirp... not a peep.. i went back and turned it on... nothing... no chirp.. spent an hour checking fuses, wires, pv dtc reader, and disabling / enabling chirpless mode. ..... nothing... got pissed and stormed off like a girl. I'm going to test it with my dynas siren to see if the siren itself just fail before i jump to conclusions.

dump....

Last edited by cvaria; 04-24-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:53 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

i pulled the siren from my dyna to test against the one that mysteriously stopped working on the sporty.

i honestly can't 100% tie the failure of my siren to the light after digging into the situation BUT, it was working when i disabled the alarm to install the light...

on tear down of the siren, that fantastic smell of burned electronics greeted me. confirmed the toasting. there was also oil under the battery. i'm guessing from the fantastic oil incident a few weeks back. this is why i'm saying i can't 100% say it was the light... but, that oil had to have been there for weeks and the siren worked when disarmed... slow roll of fail, stars aligning in the sky... maybe:

Veri-fried....

xl siren after light:

dyna siren:
ordered a new siren (68352-04A ) for $40 shipped, they are all over ebay new in box. i'm actually not wanting to put that light back in my bike to test it. for the sake of taking this fail to the next level and in the name of Shade Tree science... i will do one of my normal ride around videos anyway.

science...

Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Default Eating crow

the light actually aint bad outside of being complicit in the dead siren conspiracy.

it has one of the best spreads/beam patterns i've seen on any lower end light. the high beam is great too. looks really mean outside of the garage too.

again, i can't prove it killed my siren but, odd coincidence. worth a buy for 20-30 bucks.

Last edited by cvaria; 04-27-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Phil McGrath (05-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM
toddskill
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I do like the beam pattern better than my sunpie.

Quick Reply: Moons FlyEye LED Headlight