Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani install challenges

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassani install challenges

I was super excited to finally have time to install the new pipes. Found out quickly they dont jive with forward controls so later today I'm driving to Tucson to get some used mid controls. The hang up with forward controls is the brake rod, it is not clear of the pipe. Maybe I can bend the brake rod differently or fabricate an entirely new one to make it all work.

My current issue or just a concern is how close the pipe is to the engine case. Is it supposed to be so close that only a piece of paper could fit between the 2? Anyone have experience with this?

Attached Thumbnails Bassani install challenges-img_5154.jpg   Bassani install challenges-img_5153.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

They fit just fine with forwardcontrols. Take your time and follow the directions. You'll be good to go.

they are snug and well fit because the bassani facial hair willed them that way. Lol

Old 03-30-2018, 11:53 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I don't have forward controls, but the fit around the cam cover was spot-on for me. Similar to cvaria's pic, the radius around the cone is close, but even all the way around. As he said, take your time lining everything up... Are you sure both pipes are fully seated in the gaskets at the heads? I can't tell from your pictures, but are those taken with the rear bracket already installed and tight? If so, loosen it up again. If you have to do any adjustments (shims, etc), it should be at the rear bracket. The head pipes fit perfectly with mine.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:53 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

It's hard to tell if the port flange springs are flush inside the flanges but all appears to be flush and straight. I only now noticed on Dennis Kirk it mentions only works with forward controls for 2006 and up so is that what you're running cvaria?

Also, the radius of the curve is tighter on the low side of the cone, it gradually gets tightest there- this indicates the pipe is sitting slightly too high on the engine, but any lower and it will interfere with the brake rod even more

Last edited by supermanotorious; 03-30-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:29 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by supermanotorious
It's hard to tell if the port flange springs are flush inside the flanges but all appears to be flush and straight. I only now noticed on Dennis Kirk it mentions only works with forward controls for 2006 and up so is that what you're running cvaria?

Also, the radius of the curve is tighter on the low side of the cone, it gradually gets tightest there- this indicates the pipe is sitting slightly too high on the engine, but any lower and it will interfere with the brake rod even more

you don't tighten up the fasteners until everything is in place. Yes 2012

Last edited by cvaria; 03-30-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:30 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by supermanotorious

The overall height and location of the pipe should be determined by the fit in the cylinder heads, not by the location of the brake rod... If you're coercing the pipe into a slightly unnatural position for brake rod clearance, it's very likely that you'll either have a leak at the head, or unwanted stress in the pipe that will cause bad vibration or even a crack somewhere... Make sure the pipe meets the engine correctly, then mess with linkage clearance, etc...

Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

that's what I'm doing, exhaust mounted up first, I think I've figured out a way to offset the brake rod to give it clearance, I'll need to go buy a grade 8 bolt to make myself confident though

Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

What type of gaskets are you running ? Crush gaskets, screamin eagle, tapered? Bassani recommends tapered gasket because crush gaskets apparently affect fitment. At least that’s what my instructions for my exhaust stated

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I'm running the crush gaskets, I have another set I'll swap if this isnt right, but I'm all bolted and torqued up. Looks fantastic and is much quieter than my V&H short shots, gonna take the Dyna out tonight and see whats what. Here is a pic of the brake offset I configured for clearance. You probably have an opinion on it but I'm going to leave it as is and monitor it to make changes if it gets compromised.

I have an oversized nut as a spacer sandwiched by 2 nylon washers between the brake pedal and brake rod, I'm using a nylon jam nut at the end to secure it all.

Attached Thumbnails Bassani install challenges-img_5161.jpg   Bassani install challenges-img_5159.jpg   Bassani install challenges-img_5155.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I see you've got a 99-05 frame and it sounds like you bought a 06+ pipe. Notice the difference between Cvaria's and F86's rear cylinder head pipe #2 bends (just above the timing cover).

Those forwards look more like the later model version and my pushrod isn't bent. It's dead straight and the clevis just barely clears the bracket-to-frame bolt heads.

Yeah, expect issues. Good luck.

99 forwards (I assume thru 05, but not 100% sure)

Last edited by cggorman; 03-30-2018 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rideon (03-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Bassani install challenges