Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 PM
Mthunni
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot battery

Went for a ride today about 100 miles in 90+ temps. I noticed a little after half way that my battery seemed extremely hot. Just short of getting home my bike, 01 dyna lowrider, died. Was able to coast down hill into my driveway. Now brand new battery is dead. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM
gleam
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Your regulator/rectifier decided to stop all that regulating. Maybe it met a persuasive libertarian.

Hey you said ideas, not good ideas.

You say you just bought a battery, which may be related. If there was a problem in your charging system, it may have seemed that the battery was failing, when actually the charging system was failing.

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (06-19-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Mthunni
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my first thought, but I just replaced the rectifier last year. Guess maybe saving a couple bucks on ebay not always the best idea.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:16 AM
Allfields
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

With all your good battery testers like your Schumacher’s
where you can test the battery’s power under load when you hit the switch,
you can also test your voltage when it is running.
when you have it running throw the tester on it and it will tell you exactly how your voltage is.
If it is erratic or too low or too high.
change the regulator.
If your voltage regulator is fine.
your culprit should be your battery.
if you have a bad cell in your battery that will cause the battery to get extremely hot.
be careful when the battery is hot, it will be emiting sulfuric acid fumes from the overflow tube.
There is also a serious risk of the battery exploding when over charged.
So you could have just one problem which would be a bad battery,
or two problems your regulator which then ruined your battery.

On the positive side, the corrective actions are not too expensive and not difficult to do.
Good Luck

Last edited by Allfields; 06-17-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,338 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Here's some other not so good news, a failed stator will take out the V/R then the V/R will take out the battery. Suggestion, take off the clutch cover (derby) if it smells burnt the the stator is toast. A better V/R is from Cycle Electric, they dump ground in a different way than the stock units do. There is a grounding wire on the V/R that has to go to the frame on a paint free connection. Charge up the battery get the bike running and do a voltage test across the battery while the bike is running. Idle around 13.2-3V and above 2200 rpms about 14.2V

Old 06-18-2018, 09:06 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Or.. you can ohm out the stator. Unplug it up by the v/r, and check each phase to ground and to each other phase. Good thing to do is check your meter first ( if you have one ) determine what it thinks is a dead short by holding the leads together, then check the stator. Anything below about .5ohms is a dead short. You can also unplug the stator, start the bike and check for AC voltage. Don't remember when HD went to 3phase, I think the 01 is still a 2phase winding... and so is probably around 40vac (someone correct me). 3phase should be putting out about 36vac.